Stop me if you've heard this one...Starter problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Working on a nightmare car (cheap owner, ebay everthing wants 500hp and 25mpg) that eats starters and makes a sound that reminds me of my ex-wife's voice (shudders) while cranking.

The engine is a 98/99 SBC 350 out of a suburban (880 block) with a stroker kit and all the fancy chinese race parts sold on ebay. The compression is supposed to be 10:1 but is probably much higher. The cam is a 530 lift 236/244 duration hydraulic roller on a 110 center. In an attempt to get better gas mileage (haha) the owner installed an msd timing retard and fudges with the timing all the damn time.

So it ate:
1) stock parts store hi torque starter
2) chinese mini starter, tilton type
3) a chinese version of the gm mini starter $49 ebay special
4) a second race style mini starter
5) didn't eat but didn't work with the cast iron nose 427 hipo starter, my suggestion

I installed the 427 starter and it was singing the sweet music for about a week and then started the bs again. Clunking and grinding, then kicking out the bendix in a strange "You will never fix me" satanic chant.

I asked the parts guy.
I asked the dealership tech.
I asked google, and google answered!
I found that the 880 block is drilled for 3/8 starter bolt threads but the bolt shank diameter at the knurl is 10mm.
I said "order these parts or don't ask me again" and it fixed the problem.
Starter is an AC-Delco 337-1022 or GM88877121 new from Rock auto (Summit was out) and the most important parts, the bolts GM performance parts NAL-12338064 from Summit.

I hope to never work on this nightmare wagon ever again.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Working on a nightmare car (cheap owner, ebay everthing wants 500hp and 25mpg) that eats starters and makes a sound that reminds me of my ex-wife's voice (shudders) while cranking.

The engine is a 98/99 SBC 350 out of a suburban (880 block) with a stroker kit and all the fancy chinese race parts sold on ebay. The compression is supposed to be 10:1 but is probably much higher. The cam is a 530 lift 236/244 duration hydraulic roller on a 110 center. In an attempt to get better gas mileage (haha) the owner installed an msd timing retard and fudges with the timing all the damn time.

So it ate:
1) stock parts store hi torque starter
2) chinese mini starter, tilton type
3) a chinese version of the gm mini starter $49 ebay special
4) a second race style mini starter
5) didn't eat but didn't work with the cast iron nose 427 hipo starter, my suggestion

I installed the 427 starter and it was singing the sweet music for about a week and then started the bs again. Clunking and grinding, then kicking out the bendix in a strange "You will never fix me" satanic chant.

I asked the parts guy.
I asked the dealership tech.
I asked google, and google answered!
I found that the 880 block is drilled for 3/8 starter bolt threads but the bolt shank diameter at the knurl is 10mm.
I said "order these parts or don't ask me again" and it fixed the problem.
Starter is an AC-Delco 337-1022 or GM88877121 new from Rock auto (Summit was out) and the most important parts, the bolts GM performance parts NAL-12338064 from Summit.

I hope to never work on this nightmare wagon ever again.
You fixed it now you own that bitch......:happy175:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64