Starter wiring problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cletusthesquare

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have posted this problem before but i have a 1983 k10 305 /sm465/np205 and ive been trying to fiigure out how to wire the starter and alternator up. I got the truck like this but if someone would point me in the right direction thanks.. this is the alternator wire more pics below

You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Lets just deal with the alternator for a second. What exactly are you asking? It looks like the plug part is fine. Nothing is attached to the terminal though and your holding loose wire in your hand. Are you asking if that wire is suppose to be on the terminal?

Well check and see if there is battery voltage at that wire (12 volts) if so then trace the wire and see where it goes. If it goes to the battery or down to the starter, crimp an eyelet on the end of it and connect it to the alternator.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The wiring diagram

Attachments

• alt.jpg
    alt.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 64

cletusthesquare

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have posted this problem before but i have a 1983 k10 305 /sm465/np205 and ive been trying to fiigure out how to wire the starter and alternator up. I got the truck like this but if someone would point me in the right direction thanks.. this is the alternator wire more pics below

Sorry i have a few more pics i forgot to post but starting with this 2nd one the termnal in hand is wire im holding with my pointer finger

Attachments

• 20230914_161747.jpg
    20230914_161747.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 62

cletusthesquare

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lets just deal with the alternator for a second. What exactly are you asking? It looks like the plug part is fine. Nothing is attached to the terminal though and your holding loose wire in your hand. Are you asking if that wire is suppose to be on the terminal?

Well check and see if there is battery voltage at that wire (12 volts) if so then trace the wire and see where it goes. If it goes to the battery or down to the starter, crimp an eyelet on the end of it and connect it to the alternator.

I believe its constant power i might be wrong but thats what ive heard

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The threaded terminal on the back of the alternator is the Bat terminal and it must be connected to battery positive.

- original wiring for the charge wire ran from the Bat terminal along the top of the passenger side valve cover, down the back of the engine through a protective (from exhaust heat) metal tube and was connected to the large terminal on the starter using a fusible link on the starter end. Your main battery cable connects to the same terminal, so it provides a path from the battery to the Bat terminal.

One simple alternative is to run a wire (stock was usually 10 gauge), with fusible link, directly from your battery positive to the Bat terminal. Just route it carefully so it doesn’t get into the fan or drive belts when you are driving.

cletusthesquare

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The threaded terminal on the back of the alternator is the Bat terminal and it must be connected to battery positive.

- original wiring for the charge wire ran from the Bat terminal along the top of the passenger side valve cover, down the back of the engine through a protective (from exhaust heat) metal tube and was connected to the large terminal on the starter using a fusible link on the starter end. Your main battery cable connects to the same terminal, so it provides a path from the battery to the Bat terminal.

One simple alternative is to run a wire (stock was usually 10 gauge), with fusible link, directly from your battery positive to the Bat terminal. Just route it carefully so it doesn’t get into the fan or drive belts when you are driving.
Ok thanks that helped a good little bit

cletusthesquare

Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a few more pictures if that would help any to anyone ?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The problem is you holding 1 end of a wire up in the air and expecting us to guess where it goes,that's a pretty tough nut to crack. Do your best to figure out what color wires we are dealing with,where the still connected end is. One of your pics SirRobyn0 figured out. In my head you were holding the wire from term 2 on the alternator but that wasn't the wire you were holding at all. My guess is you don't have the wire that goes from the threaded post on the alternator connected to the alternator, the other end terminates either at the starter positive post or the battery positive cable you will have to trace it. You should have 1 large cable from the battery to the large post on the starter and at least 2 other smaller wires connected there to power up the fusebox and ignition switch and another small wire to engage the starter solenoid,get some good pics clean the wires get us some colors,look at some wiring diaghrams.

Last edited:

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully you should be able to trace the wires with this diagram. The fusible links (THERMO HW) can be identified by plastic barrels unless they have been replaced.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Tagging on with a starter wiring question. Keep in mind just about everything on this truck was taken apart and reassembled.
I believe I have everything back together correctly. I have Voltage to the starter. But when I try the key...crickets. I have a choke light on the instrument cluster. Telling me I have power inside cab. Any ideas ?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

how do you have a 305 sm465 np205 combo in a 1983? took a 70s 4wd manual and swapped it behind your trucks 305?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Tagging on with a starter wiring question. Keep in mind just about everything on this truck was taken apart and reassembled.
I believe I have everything back together correctly. I have Voltage to the starter. But when I try the key...crickets. I have a choke light on the instrument cluster. Telling me I have power inside cab. Any ideas ?
have you tried applying power directly to the starter to see if its in the wiring/switching or if its the starter itself
make sure to have it in neutral or park chocked wheels ESP if you are only one there

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So far I have just re assembled as the labels stated from when I took everything apart

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What's the best way to test the wiring

Forum statistics

Threads