Starter wiring problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
What's the best way to test the wiring
directly power the starter from the batteryh with a jumper cable (or something) and make sure your engine is grounded to the battery negative (a battery cable to the block or starter is best, but the alternator bracket is the OEM route. That needs to be clean and good connection ebtween the cable,bracket, intake, and (water pump? head?) and to the battery.

Does the starter turn over?
at that point you move out from there.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Excellent description!

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
followed the advice or Auroragirl , thank you! , and starter seems fine. I pulled it and "jumpered" it and it spun fast and strong , so I am not getting power when I turn the key. Will have to check connection on steering column and wiring going to starter from "cab" not battery.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
followed the advice or Auroragirl , thank you! , and starter seems fine. I pulled it and "jumpered" it and it spun fast and strong , so I am not getting power when I turn the key. Will have to check connection on steering column and wiring going to starter from "cab" not battery.
ETA: I'm a dummy... Didn't realize you are not the OP.

Is the battery grounded to the engine block? there should be a heavy battery cable going from the negative terminal to the block somewhere

I was kind of wondering if its the giant cable connected to the alternator mounting bracket, it just doesn't look like its hooked up is why I ask.

You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Unhook the purple wire from the starter solenoid, use a test light to see if it gets power when the key is turned to the "Start" position.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Neutral Safety switch issue?

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
yep process of elimination, starter spun strong when bench tested.....one by one try to deduce the problem. as always lots of good help in here.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
OK so just had an epiphany, revelation, or duh thought. I swapped a donor cab and wiring onto my truck, this wiring was from a manual trans. I used my original automatic steering column, am I missing a connection for the neutral safety switch?!
I have power to instrument cluster.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
OK so just had an epiphany, revelation, or duh thought. I swapped a donor cab and wiring onto my truck, this wiring was from a manual trans. I used my original automatic steering column, am I missing a connection for the neutral safety switch?!
I have power to instrument cluster.
=That probably does it

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
1980 manual column wiring plug

Attachments

• Snapchat-1954205260.jpg
    Snapchat-1954205260.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
so I think I took all my existing(original) wiring except under the hood. So under dash and column=original. underhood came with the donor cab and motor. So in my mind I lost a wire connection for a neutral safety switch
Hell now I am even confusing myself.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
ETA: I'm a dummy... Didn't realize you are not the OP.

Is the battery grounded to the engine block? there should be a heavy battery cable going from the negative terminal to the block somewhere

I was kind of wondering if its the giant cable connected to the alternator mounting bracket, it just doesn't look like its hooked up is why I ask.

You must be registered for see images attach
Sure does appear to be missing the charge wire there.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I think I am gonna bite the bullet and order a new engine wiring harness from Summit. Wasn't in the plan but the original has been hacked previously and now without a neutral safety switch "leg" might just be easiest way to proceed. Since most of the wiring is disconnected from my searching.....Anyone have any review of summit harnesses or others open to suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1