Still Super Sloppy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
anyone ever notice how their steering gets sloppier on the way home from the bar? it's like there's a steering gremlin out in the parking lot waiting for you.

Mine was really bad going home from a strip club one time. Big problem was, I walked to the club.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Mine was really bad going home from a strip club one time. Big problem was, I walked to the club.
oh, they must've had one of them loaner car programs.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
anyone ever notice how their steering gets sloppier on the way home from the bar? it's like there's a steering gremlin out in the parking lot waiting for you.
I think it’s the nut behind the wheel......that’s lose that makes it seem sloppy.

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
near 50/50 !! that's surprising

I was surprised too. But that was taken 30 seconds after I filled it up and it has a forty gallon tank. At roughly 7 pounds per gallon. That’s 280 pounds extra back there. Even empty, that’s closer than I expected.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
The ORD steering box brace should be on EVERY Square Body! There's no bracing or triangulation from the factory, the box just bolts to a single wall frame rail, a GM "it's good enuff" issue. The RAG joint can last 100k, or forever. Seeing play in it is elementary. Titening up the top adjustment bolt is a no-no. It adjusts the internal pre-load and is factory or re-manufacturer set, and if one refers to the shop manual, it's a very fine adjustment and if the think you've titened up the steering, you've really only bound up the two internal gear-shafts. Everyone does it, no one should touch it.
I installed Lares reman boxes in my '84 6.2 3/4 ton Sub and ex'es '95 6.5 3/4 ton. Both had wrong torsion input shaft resulting in too much steering effort. That's desirable in a Trans Am, but I missed my one touch steering for ease of backing up w a trailer. The '95 was even worse! I called them and the guy had the same attitude as the guy that said 3/4 tons were like that new. A guy selling Borg steering box conversions set me on track about the input-torsion spring shaft and how that worked in relation to steering effort. The Lares guy said they put in exactly the same shaft as the factory did, he's so full of it. Next issue w the Lares box was they BOTH had play where the pitman shaft exited the box, clearly evident when moving the steering wheel a few inches back and forth. The ex susequently upgraded to a RedHead box, but that was after she became my ex, so I don't drive the '95 anymore. This hasn't really addressed your issue, but I would say the alignment shop is wearing blinders. A little extra toe in or out (not sure which way) would titen up the steering wander as all vehicles require a bit of drag to prevent twitchiness or wander. I'm sure the toe in-out answer is a simple Google search away.
It always surprises me when a shop can do a tremendous amount of 1st class work and then totally overlook some elementary issue, like the mandatory ORD steering brace. It's $50 and 2-3 hour install. On my Sub I modifyed the little bracket the goes behind-over top of the leaf spring mount. I grinder-cut the bracket to better fit around the spring brace and I believe I cut and welded a little piece of steel for it to be a little stronger, or something. I think I have a video of my mod-install...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sorry about the crappy sound, old junky camera.

I think your issue is prolly mis-aligned front springs-axle. You could measure front to back on both sides, you may find the new springs may have the axle locating pins in the wrong spot. Just pull a tape measure between the front and back tires, back of the front tire to front of the back tire, both sides should be identical. I've never seen this problem before unless the vehicle has been in a wreck, I'm just thinking about what was changed, and aftermarket parts may have a manufacturing defect.
Another issue that should be addressed is the rear of the front leaf spring hangers, where they mount to the frame. GM used half inch bolts at the front leaf spring mounts, behind the bumper, and 7/16 bolts (I think?) at the back of the leaf spring where it goes to the frame, under the floor pan. Weak spot, and often times the bolt wears right thru the bushing into the frame bracket. DIY4x4 makes a serious 9/16" bolt upgrade to address this issue. I bought their beautiful parts, but I've never installed it because it's a pretty fair job, but one of my bushings on both my K5 diesel Blazer, and my 3/4 ton diesel Suburban has worn through the bushing and eventually the bolt will break and leave me stranded with the leaf spring up against the frame, not good, I need to get on to this.

http://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17751&cat=250&page=3

So these are my guesses and suggestions, and last thot is the 3/4 ton is identical to the 1/2 to except the 3/4 ton has 8 bolt spindles instead of 6. It's a shame you wasted all the coin on new D44-10 bolt parts when you should have gone w the Dana 60 as part of the swap. The D44-10 bolt would be fine on an S10, but is really another example of GM under-engineering.
If your going to off road, there are front lockers that don't affect steering like the old school GM always pre-loaded clutch plate posi.
So to re-hash, do the ORD brace, measure axle squareness-alignment, consider getting rid of rag-joint and find another alignment shop.
Maybe I'll make a video of my above thots to clarify. Good luck --:))

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'm going to reiterate my position again.

These trucks were fine from the factory. No steering braces, no crossover steering, no stabilizer, and my CUCV Blazer has a 6.2 diesel with a 650 lbs stripped dry weight sitting on the stock 10 bolt.

All of those parts are fine upgrades and additions, but people drove these things all over the world for decades without them.

The ONLY way to know for sure what's wrong, is get out there with a helper, and get some eyes on each component while the wheel is being turned on flat ground, then move to jack stands, then move to wheels removed.

Maybe your steering box is falling off, maybe your frame is cracked, maybe your springs are loose, maybe your wheel bearings are shot, maybe lizard people control the government, maybe the earth is hollow AND flat....

Anyone can make a WAG, troubleshooting is the only way to isolate the component.

theramb99

Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I bet it is directly proportional to the amount of "I have bad gas mileage" threads.

?

Wtf is with the lack of sidewall? Hold the phone!

I give up....there is no reasoning with these people.

WO WONDER IT DRIVES LIKE ****.
:gtfo:
Please don't make babies!

You have been identified as the enemy. If you hear the shot you were not the target. THIS TIME.

Is it just me or does that spring look like it is stretched out straight. Like there is no curve left in it, if I recall he said they are new HD springs that were put in. Not sure if it would create his problems but sure doesn't look right either.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Is it just me or does that spring look like it is stretched out straight. Like there is no curve left in it, if I recall he said they are new HD springs that were put in. Not sure if it would create his problems but sure doesn't look right either.

All the stock springs were flat, with perhaps a hair of negative arch. Ride better the flatter they are.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
Flat, arched, whatever, nothing to do with the wander issue

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
Just a thought: can an incorrect preload on the upper ball joints cause this kind of issue?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know that I am very far from an expert on these trucks but I'm with @Jrgunn5150
All stock and all old steering components on my 83 K20 with a 350 and 33" M/T gets driven daily at 70mph and it doesn't feel unsafe at all.

Without getting more information on what is seen during a visual inspection were only guessing. Maybe record your visual inspection? Might help us see something that could be getting overlooked.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm going to reiterate my position again.

These trucks were fine from the factory. No steering braces, no crossover steering, no stabilizer, and my CUCV Blazer has a 6.2 diesel with a 650 lbs stripped dry weight sitting on the stock 10 bolt.

All of those parts are fine upgrades and additions, but people drove these things all over the world for decades without them.

The ONLY way to know for sure what's wrong, is get out there with a helper, and get some eyes on each component while the wheel is being turned on flat ground, then move to jack stands, then move to wheels removed.

Maybe your steering box is falling off, maybe your frame is cracked, maybe your springs are loose, maybe your wheel bearings are shot, maybe lizard people control the government, maybe the earth is hollow AND flat....

Anyone can make a WAG, troubleshooting is the only way to isolate the component.

Amen!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I’m pretty sure it was intact when the new steering box was put on. I’ve only been driving it a month, but anything is possible. Louisiana roads are not gentle. When I have the shaft change done, I’ll have it checked for sure.

If I had known about this (cracked frame) being an issue with these trucks I would've put one on my truck before it ever happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS