Square covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
For those looking to buy a cover for their square, I thought it would be a good place for people to give feedback on the ones they have used.

I just trashed my LMC mid-grade (3000 series) cover.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=93

I wouldn't really recommend it. It did not have any longevity claim with it, so it was an experimental move. At about the 2-1/2 year mark, the backing started leaving dust all over the truck so I'd have to hit it with the California Duster before driving it anywhere. Also, the fit wasn't good. When the wind got up, it would flap around and it damaged the paint where the a-pillar meets the roof. I eventually ended up using bungee cords to hook at the bottom of the fender on each side and stretched across the cowl. That kept it from flapping around, but the damage was done by that point. There was also water pooled up over the bed where it would sink from being too big and having the weight of the water. Rainwater would also pool under the cover in the fold where it curves under the rear bumper. I never figured out how though. Here's a pic of the LMC (tan) cover attached. You can see loose it is and how it hangs at the back bumper.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a new cover by Empire Covers labelled "Budge". It's a 5-year cover in gray. The fit is snug enough where it won't flap around and damage the paint, nor pool over the bed of the truck. So far, I haven't found any water pooling anywhere else either. Total cost shipped to my door was $106. The attached pic with the gray cover is the Empire Cover

Attachments

• WP_001227.jpg
    WP_001227.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 107
  • S__0248.jpg
    S__0248.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 98

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Got the California car cover and its doing well but way more then the price above.

Attachments

• Imgp1568.jpg
    Imgp1568.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 91

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I will have to do some investigating on my cover. It is a fitted cover, specifically for a long bed square body. It has been on the truck for the better part of 15 years, albeit inside a barn. It is awesome for what I need, and I will cry if I ever need to stop using it. I don't know what brand or how much, that's what I need to figure out. And get some pics too.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Got the California car cover and its doing well but way more then the price above.

How long have you had it? Approximately how much was it? Do you have problems with it caving into the bed from rain water? I got back home last night and apparently we had a good soak while I was gone this weekend. The bed was full of water and the cover was sitting on the bottom of the bed. I don't know how to curb this without putting a big beach ball or something in the bed to keep from having a low spot like you do with swimming pool covers.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Boat covers use an expandable pole to hold up the middle where it sags. You can either install a grommet in your cover and use a tipped pole, or install a snap in the cover and use the snap-equipped pole.

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-...cover-support-pole-adjusts-from-30-to-60.aspx

http://www.harborfreight.com/103-piece-1-2-half-inch-grommet-installation-kit-30037.html

They also make flexible fiberglass rods that could be attached to the stake bed holes to form a bow across the bed. Here's a cheaper way to do something similar.

[yt]rSnJl88h45M[/yt]

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Boat covers use an expandable pole to hold up the middle where it sags. You can either install a grommet in your cover and use a tipped pole, or install a snap in the cover and use the snap-equipped pole.

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-...cover-support-pole-adjusts-from-30-to-60.aspx

http://www.harborfreight.com/103-piece-1-2-half-inch-grommet-installation-kit-30037.html

They also make flexible fiberglass rods that could be attached to the stake bed holes to form a bow across the bed. Here's a cheaper way to do something similar.

[yt]rSnJl88h45M[/yt]

I might have to look at something similar to this if the beach ball method doesn't work out. Thanks!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
How long have you had it? Approximately how much was it? Do you have problems with it caving into the bed from rain water? I got back home last night and apparently we had a good soak while I was gone this weekend. The bed was full of water and the cover was sitting on the bottom of the bed. I don't know how to curb this without putting a big beach ball or something in the bed to keep from having a low spot like you do with swimming pool covers.

Almost a year, about 350.00 and I have an old tonneau cover that I sit on the bed to keep it from sagging.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Almost a year, about 350.00 and I have an old tonneau cover that I sit on the bed to keep it from sagging.

didn't think of that. That would be ideal. $350 is some serious grip, but I do like the way it fits. It looks pretty snug. I figured if I get at least 3-4 years out of a $100 cover, I'd get 12 years worth of protection out of the deal. If the California Cover lasts over 12 years, then I'd be on the losing end. I just don't see a cover lasting in the elements that long.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have had a few California covers and none have let me down.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I have had a few California covers and none have let me down.

I hear ya. I don't doubt they're good covers either. I just question one lasting 10-12 years unless someone one has seen one do that. I also plan to have it garage within the next 2-3 years, thus eliminating the need for a cover so I didn't want to spend more than I really had to.

Of course, I thought I'd have the garage built within 3 years of buying the first cover too and that hasn't happened.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You can also build a V shaped cage out of PVC pipe to stick in the bed to keep the middle of the bed cover supported. I also recommend spraying them down every year or 2 with a good coat of Thompsons waterseal or equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
We got some fairly decent showers yesterday and last night, and there was no pooling this morning when I left. Apparently there was some monsoon type rain that came thru this weekend and it has enough speed and volume to force the cover into the bed. I think I'll just keep an eye on it and see how often it's even an issue. If we get that kind of rain 2 or 3x a year, I'm fine with it as it. If it's going to me more than that, I'll probably do the pvc frame in the stake pockets with 3 cross members for support. That combined with the fact I always park it facing up hill should do the trick.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Got any pics from the side or back? I'd like to see the fit on the bed.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members