Front Fender Well Inspection Covers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Mine was rusted out mostly in the middle of the plate.They had undercoating on them and was stuck,but not welded.The truck is a '77.Next summer I'm going to undercoat new inners and install.Now I just have rusty original inners.I want to see the condition of whatever is behind everything and Rustoleum it in there.

MaverickH1

Reaction score
First Name
No thanks
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm working on mine at the moment as well. Bolts removed and I've been trying to pry them out. I thought maybe it was an access panel to get in behind it to knock things out.

I found it thinking it was maybe where the cowl drains out and one of the places I'd have to open to unclog it since I'm getting some water intrusion into the interior sometimes. I was trying to pry it off since everything in the area is rusted, but now I'm thinking it is spot welded on like earlier pictures show.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Doesn't this (bigger) inboard bolt attach the fender inner to the front of dash?

Or am I thinking of something else -

K
Yes. That larger bolt is one of three bolts on each side of the front end assembly. So six bolts, the 2 on each inner fender, 2 up on the top edge of the cowl and the last 2 in each front door jam. Removing all six of those bolts, and the two bolts with the rubber body mounts under the radiator. the whole front end can be removed in one piece.

GM had been mounting front ends that way for several years, before the squares, on cars. Of course all the wires, hoses etc need to be disconnected too. Then you can lift of the front sheet metal with the hood complete. That is why GM thought it necessary to add that support plate. With no paint between the support plate, that was spot welded to inner fender, great place for rust.

86_HighSierra2500

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Well, I have been wondering about this same thing. My drivers side crumbled when I touched it, but the drinker side still in pretty good shape. I'll do the same and make my own I guess.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Reinforcement for attaching the wheel apron (fender inner) at that location.

The front end, because it is not integrated like a Dodge or a passenger car, is dancing around up there. It's pretty easy to image that bolt eating the wheelhouse up if it was only one material thickness at that location (and thin metal at that).

If it was an inspection or access - why would it be welded to the base metal?

K
After examining mine a bit further Keith, I believe you are exactly right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko