Need painting advice--Pre-primed plastic Bumper Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Gent's, I need your advice on how to properly paint an aftermarket (not OEM) plastic bumper cover that came with black waterborne primer on it.

My wife smashed into a deer with her 2013 Chrysler Town & Country--took out the front end. I have the parts now (finally) and want to paint up the bumper cover and get this thing back on the road (she is driving our '01 2500HD Suburban and the gas is killing us!!).

I've called a few of the local paint shops and so far I have 3 different answers from *we've been told not to put solvent paints over waterborne primer by some people **sand it as instructed and paint it/clear it, you will be fine ***strip it down to bare plastic and start over with adhesion promoter/primer/sand it/paint/clear....

So, now I am quite confused on what actually should be done.

Are the instructions below really that simple, or am I "trying" to over-complicate this? What "I" would like to do (the simple way, of course) is use solvent based color, and clear over the existing black primer that is on the bumper cover by following the instructions. It states nothing about using regular automotive paints (solvent based).

Here is the EXACT wording on the label stuck to the back side of this bumper cover;
Water Borne primer painting instructions
1. Scuff or sand surface lightly with gray scuff pad or 1000-1200 grit sandpaper
2. Clean the surface with soap, water, lint-free cloth and air
3. Follow the painting instructions from paint companies for color and clear coats
Note: This part has been flame treated with an environmentally friendly water borne primer and is HPAs free.

What would you guys do? Or what have you guys done with these parts you've done yourselves?

Thank you!!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Should be able to use solvent based products, scuff and shoot. Only thing I can add, ask paint store if adhesion promoter and/or flex agent is needed with the products you are using. Last bumper cover I painted used promoter and no flex agent but put the bumper on next day while paint was fresh.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Should be able to use solvent based products, scuff and shoot. Only thing I can add, ask paint store if adhesion promoter and/or flex agent is needed with the products you are using. Last bumper cover I painted used promoter and no flex agent but put the bumper on next day while paint was fresh.
Glad we are thinking the same :) Can an adhesion promoter be added to the color?

This is all new to me, so as usual I am learning as I go!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Glad we are thinking the same :) Can an adhesion promoter be added to the color?

This is all new to me, so as usual I am learning as I go!
Refer to the technical data sheets for your paint, it should list all compatible additives like reducers, adhesion promoters, flexibilizers Etc.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Best source for information is a local paint store. There are different products and procedures between brands. Can label will have basic mixing, pressures and procedures. Do not mix brands. Use same brand clear, color and primer otherwise may create a crosslink problem.
Take lots of money, prices will be shocking. And yes the TDS will have more information, they have to provide one if asked but most are available on line.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Thanks for the info. If this was steel I'd be done already. I've done many restorations, but never have dealt with plastic until now! So, totally all new to me, but since I'm a tightwad I want to spray it myself :Big Laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef