Springs vs Blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 5 1/2" blocks in the back of my K5. Never had a problem, but I'm gonna make a traction bar setup for it anyways. When I was looking at lifts the best place by far as far as pricing is Ebay. Just search "73-87 chevy 4" lift" and it should pop up with a bunch of Ebay stores selling them.

I second the shackle flip, I wish I did that on mine.

-John

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
When looking for soft riding springs look for ones that have a nice 2-way taper on the ends. Springs that are cut relatively square ride like a chuckwagon. I bought my 6" kit second hand so I have no idea who manufactured it but the ends of the leaves have a nice long taper and ride sweet. I've also heard of people swapping in the rear 52" springs into the front, netting about 4" over the flat or sometimes reverse-arched stock springs, while maintaining a soft ride and better articulation due to the longer spring.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
man did the raise the kit price? I bought the same rough country kit as above but from jcwhitney, had the arm, front springs, rear blocks, shocks, boots everything and it was $300 and free shipping on orders over a hundred or so.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When looking for soft riding springs look for ones that have a nice 2-way taper on the ends. Springs that are cut relatively square ride like a chuckwagon. I bought my 6" kit second hand so I have no idea who manufactured it but the ends of the leaves have a nice long taper and ride sweet. I've also heard of people swapping in the rear 52" springs into the front, netting about 4" over the flat or sometimes reverse-arched stock springs, while maintaining a soft ride and better articulation due to the longer spring.

I traded for my "8 inch" lift and the guy didn't know who made it either. After cleaning off the dirt I saw a PN. 15 seconds on Google and I found it to be a Pro-Comp 6" spring set. Might work for you if you can find a number...

-John

lar300mag

Reaction score
I used Tuff Country Springs, they are supposed to have the softest spring rate.
http://www.tuffcountry.com/products/leaf-springs.html
I used a 6" 63" long from a 200o and later Chevy and an Offroad Design shackle flip for the rear and 52" (73-87 rear) 6" lift with the B-52 spring hanger from DIY4X. the set up is unbelievable. Soft ride and flexes great. For a 4" lift use a set of rear factory springs for the front, here is a write up. http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hey thanks a million guys! Lots of really great info. I had thought that a shackle flip would be the best thing for a start also. And having just removed the radiator support on my 85 I second the opinion on body lifts. The rusty sheetmetal and stout plastic blocks look like a disaster in the making. Come spring I will probably get a combo of a flip kit and a four inch susp. lift and do away with the body lift. Now can one of you explain what a "zero rate" does? Is it for correcting pinion angle? No
I guess that is what you drop the transfer case for right?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A "zero rate" is a thick add-a-leaf that is really short, so it doesn't change the spring rate. It basically is just a 1" block that bolts to the spring pack, and is acceptable to use in the front (although I never will).

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
And the reason you never ever use blocks in the front is that they can't handle torsional stress (like from steering) correct? Thanks for that BTW, I have wanted to know what they were for forever!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not to mention they will let you move the axle front or back an inch.

But front blocks, other then zero rates, front blocks are ILLEGAL in EVERY state.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Zero rate AALs also have other offset holes for relocating the axle forward or back either 1" or 1 1/2" which sometimes seems to be necessary with 6" or more of lift. I will be adjusting my front axle forward and the rear axle back whenever I do the 14 bolt swap. I looked at a pic my mom took of the truck when I used it to pull down some trees and it is obvious the axles need to move...
http://a.imageshack.us/img213/3112/axles.jpg

EDIT: damn swims, you beat me to it lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can also simply re-drill the perches to move the axle forward or back. I just don't trust even a zero rate in the front because even though they bolt in, they still add leverage. The rear is more than fine though.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
So the taller you go the shorter the wheelbase gets! LOL Crazy what have you done with your pinion angles at that height?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have 8 degree shims in the front, since you cant cut/turn the front (passenger side perch is made into center section). The rear angle is in great shape, the shackle flip did a great job at turning the pinion angle. If anything I have a little too much angle. Bucket has a good idea but the way the spring perches are made on the 14 bolt you cant redrill...
http://yfrog.com/6xdscf2366tj

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lol it's cool you guys know more about it then I do.

I'll admit I only done one lift in my lift and that was on the 86 k10 we had and I want to do one on my 88

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman