Spring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Hi, after a 6 month hiatus I have started working on the old girl again. Its a 87 V10 that's been converted to carb. Stock suspension 31's but with a Rugby dump kit and a factory bed. The bed and frame was reinforced but besides that its pretty much stock.

Last summer I por'd the frame and ended up replacing the shocks and springs in the rear at the same time. I went to General Spring in KC and ordered rear springs; 2150 lb capacity 5(4/1) leaves 52" spring. Is that a good spring for a toy work truck? I load it pretty heavy with firewood from time to time and am going to start driving it longer distances but it is pretty much a local ride. I didn't replace the front springs because the bushings weren't as shot as the rear but the truck is almost 30 years old now..... Should I replace those as well? and with the same capacity? I really don't know much about springs and trying to get a little insight. Thanks in advance

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have the same year truck - 1987 v10 - and did a similar thing a few years ago. I went with a little higher load spring (it was a 5/1 spring that was around 22-2300 lbs). It carries a lot of weight without any issues. I have had over a ton of rock in the bed a few times without issues. If anything I wish I had gone to the 56" springs and a softer rate, as its pretty stiff. I don't think you'll have a concern about capacity. I swapped a 9.5" 14 bolt in the rear as well to make sure I could load it up without breaking the axles.

My stock front 2 leafs are original as well, so I'd be interested to see what people say.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
As long as your springs aren't sagged out in the front I would just put in new bushings in the front end and call it good. That's what I would do anyways... Well actually I would probably just put a 2 inch lift in but that's just me. There's no problem with the stock springs though as long as they aren't sagged.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave