Best spring coil compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Going to replace both front lower and upper control arms. Want to use a coil spring compressor for spring removal and reinstall. Anyone familiar with the best option? I know you can borrow one from the auto store but I’d like to have one that works really well and is super safe. Also, I’m having trouble finding any good videos of removing and installing control arms that include springs. Anyone have a good resource for this? Will be replacing control arms, pitman, idler, and tie rods for front. Truck is 1980 gmc c2500/c20 3/4 ton long bed. Everything is original/stock.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
The kit you rent from auto store is as good as they get. Just go and ask to buy one and don't let them BS you into saying they don't sell them or only sell the used kits. Also for safety after shock is pulled drop a prybar down from top through spring. Even if it let's go it will atleast be trapped in there

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Life insurance up to date? Lol
Very much so up to date lol! Really trying to find an internal compressor style but can’t find any in stock…this one in the video seems really safe to me. Well as safe as you could hope for.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
And make sure you lubricate the threads on the puller real good.
With truck on jackstands, I always put floor jack under the lower control arm to add extra safety and control.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
i used this, same idea as what you posted. Worked great. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTJ5I8/
That’s the exact one I ended up getting! Worked well for me too. Was about $280 but gave me some peace of mind. Was still holding my breath the entire time. Hardest part was getting the top of spring to fit into the top cup on upper control arm. Got it eventually. Was able to get one side done, but swapped all the tie rods, pitman, idler, and sway bar bushings. Will do the other side soon. If it’s helpful for anyone else, I measured the spring diameter. This is for a 1980 C20 3/4 ton 5.7L 350 w/ HD chassis. Diameter was 0.80 in (20mm).

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad