Front coil spring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toad455

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello. I'm rebuilding the suspension on my 78 C10. With the original 350, all cast engine the front sat higher than the rear and looked funny. Now with the LS 6.0 with alum heads, intake, radiator, and a much lighter ac compressor (new configuration), I figure the front will be around 160 lbs lighter which will make it sit even higher. I'm thinking about going with a 2" drop spring for the front. Factory leafs on the rear. I just want it to sit level. Has anybody tried this with success? I really don't want to change them twice, thanks.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
You're right, the LS is a bit lighter than the small block, how much depends on the block. If you've got an iron block, you're only looking at ~75lbs or so of weight savings but if you've got an aluminum block like I do then yes, you're in the ~150lb neighborhood. I had this exact scenario with my truck, with the old small block I had swapped in a set of big block springs and trimmed a coil off because I like a firmer ride. Once I swapped in the LS, it was nose high bad, so the original half ton springs went back in and I just trimmed them till I was happy. But I'm ~5/8 with drop spindles, flip kit and shackles as well.

You can do it 2 ways, you can do springs or you can do drop spindles. Honestly if I were you, I'd just take your stock springs out and cut 1 coil out of them. 1 coil = roughly 2" of drop and you're only out some time. In my opinion, all the aftermarket drop springs ride too soft.

Toad455

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You're right, the LS is a bit lighter than the small block, how much depends on the block. If you've got an iron block, you're only looking at ~75lbs or so of weight savings but if you've got an aluminum block like I do then yes, you're in the ~150lb neighborhood. I had this exact scenario with my truck, with the old small block I had swapped in a set of big block springs and trimmed a coil off because I like a firmer ride. Once I swapped in the LS, it was nose high bad, so the original half ton springs went back in and I just trimmed them till I was happy. But I'm ~5/8 with drop spindles, flip kit and shackles as well.

You can do it 2 ways, you can do springs or you can do drop spindles. Honestly if I were you, I'd just take your stock springs out and cut 1 coil out of them. 1 coil = roughly 2" of drop and you're only out some time. In my opinion, all the aftermarket drop springs ride too soft.

Thanks much for the reply and info! I didn't even think about cutting the factory springs. I'm going with iron block 6.0. When i was younger I put an Olds 455 in an 86 Cutlass, I put front springs out of a 73 Cadillac, when I dropped the floor jack down the suspension didn't even move, lol. I had to trim them down. The ride was firm but never bottomed out even with headers.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah I think you'd be about perfect if you just trim a coil or so off your springs. You should still be able to align it just fine. I think I ended up with 2.5 coils off mine and paired with the drop spindles, I can't quite get it to align

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Which angle is the main deficiency, or does it clobber both?

Toad455

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah I think you'd be about perfect if you just trim a coil or so off your springs. You should still be able to align it just fine. I think I ended up with 2.5 coils off mine and paired with the drop spindles, I can't quite get it to align

Thanks, for the reply. I'll try cutting a little at a time and creep up on what I'm looking for. I really don't want to use drop spindles if I don't have to.

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
I actually put a 6 cylinder spring on my stock 350 1/2 ton.
I cut a coil off of it as well. I can't remember the spring rate differences. GM's heritage site may have the info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218-121930_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218-121930_Firefox.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod