Socket Holders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What do you guys use for socket holders? I am shopping for some, and yes, cheap, fo muh cheap ass. Searching around I found this on ebay, really looks like a good setup. I keep my tool box in my truck so I am sick of sockets rolling around and making noise and being unorganized. Figure one of these for metric and one for standard, $25 bucks each. Holds all drives, sizes and deepness type in one tray and is well marked. What do ya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THE-...p5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ35001QQitemZ280612865110

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I wonder how it holds up to any use though, like how difficult it is to put them on and pull them off. And will your sockets fit in the holes?

I have two socket sets for no real reason...One set uses Craftsman socket rails which are really nice, they grip the sockets very well. Nice to take somewhere like the junkyard.

The other set uses Hansen socket trays in 4 colors. Blue for metric 12 point, gray for metric 6 point, red for SAE 12 point and black for SAE 6 point. Great for my roll cart.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Rails suck but those look like they will kick ass.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
yeah, the first ones are expensive.

But the Hansens are great. However, they are also kind of fragile in a rough environment.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
harbor freight has those magnet ones also.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
yeah, if you like your sockets falling out any time you pick it up...

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
harbor freight has those magnet ones also.

I know i've seen the magnetic ones at harbor freight but I cant find them online. I choose those definitely. The rails drive me insane, either the metal clips are too loose and the **** falls off or they are way tight and you have to fight it to get your socket loose meanwhile your other sockets are falling off.

I just got a husky bag and throw all my **** in there, so when I need something I can search for 5 minutes and sometimes get stabbed in the fingers by razor blades.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm looking for some of these as well. The original plastic cases that my came in years ago are starting to fall apart...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I know i've seen the magnetic ones at harbor freight but I cant find them online. I choose those definitely. The rails drive me insane, either the metal clips are too loose and the **** falls off or they are way tight and you have to fight it to get your socket loose meanwhile your other sockets are falling off.

I just got a husky bag and throw all my **** in there, so when I need something I can search for 5 minutes and sometimes get stabbed in the fingers by razor blades.
LMAO!!!!! :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, rails suck at times. But its what I use since they are cheap and they do function and serve their purpose. I have adjusted mine to be nice and snug, but not to tight. I know exactly what everyone is talkng about. Mine have been on the same rails for almost 20 years, so they are well broke in and work fine MOST of the time with little difficulty. I bought some on sale at HF a few month back for like .50 cents each. Haven't started using them yet, and almost afraid to. Probably get what you pay for, so they'll probably be junk. BTW, the rails I am currently using and been using for 20 years are Crapsman. Took me a bit to get them all adjusted the way I like. Reshapeing them with pliers.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I think most of HF stuff is crap. Northern Tool has better quality stuff.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
yeah, if you like your sockets falling out any time you pick it up...
Maybe depends what brand ya buy, I don't know. The only experioence I had with them was back when I used to work part time in the scrap yard the tool box they gave me to use had a few of those magnetic jobs, I think the were from snap on, and they held the sockets just fine and you can just dorp them in the tool box with all the other tools and they wouldn't fall out. I really liked them. I was really itchn' for them to become part of my fringe benifit package, lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT