Smeary glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Just curious if anyone else has issues with smeary interior glass? Seems like all my windows, but mainly the windshield, get this coating of something on them. It takes a lot of work to get it all off too. Do these trucks just tend to get real humid inside?

I've been having a lot of trouble with this lately. I can only image the poor old girl riding out Irma didn't help too much.

Oh, and heater core is less than a year old.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Try a 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar with a few drops of Dawn dishwashing soap added in. Spray onto a microfiber towel first rather than directly onto the glass.
You beat Me tooooit.
My new to Me truck had the same problem. Parts and brake cleaner would`nt even touch it.
Mixed Me up some vinegar and water, applied the mix with a rag and used newspapers to dry it with.
Came out squeaky clean.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
It happens in all of my vehicles....

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Ok I'll give the vinegar water a go over the weekend. I tried SprayWay glass cleaner this morning before work. It took some serious elbow grease too, but I was able to get some of the shmoo off and make it easier to get to work. With the days getting shorter (ie its dark on the way to work now) and the fact that everybody and their brother seems to keep their highbeams on (and/or new vehicles just have INSANELY BRIGHT LIGHTS) it made it real hard to see in the mornings.

So anybody have any idea where this shmoo is coming from? Poor door seals or something else? Lack of moisture barriers in the doors?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Ok I'll give the vinegar water a go over the weekend. I tried SprayWay glass cleaner this morning before work. It took some serious elbow grease too, but I was able to get some of the shmoo off and make it easier to get to work. With the days getting shorter (ie its dark on the way to work now) and the fact that everybody and their brother seems to keep their highbeams on (and/or new vehicles just have INSANELY BRIGHT LIGHTS) it made it real hard to see in the mornings.

So anybody have any idea where this shmoo is coming from? Poor door seals or something else? Lack of moisture barriers in the doors?

I've noticed this on my vehicles, if I don't clean the glass every couple weeks, I get a fog almost on the inside of the glass. I used to think it had something to do with the armor all evaporating off or something, but Ive been kind lazy on the interior detailing of the car and the '88 chevy this year and they still do it. When I first brought each home, I had to scrub like hell to get the nicotine build up off and though I'd be good to go after that. Hell, I even had the windshield in the car replaced. After almost 300k itvwas pretty sandblasted. Dunno. Just gotta make sure I wipe down the glass every couple weeks to keep the glare down.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
It's worth asking, but do you smoke??

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
It's worth asking, but do you smoke??

I've smoked the odd pipe or cigar in the truck, but I could count the number of times I've done that in the 4 years I've owned the truck on two hands. Very rare. I don't like smoking in enclosed spaces, it makes things sticky, which if I did it more often would be a definite culprit for the smeary glass.

Honestly I think my problem is humidity in the cab. I noticed the pass side carpet is fairly damp, and I think its coming from the craptastic sunroof. I glued/caulked/sealed/prayed that stupid thing, but it still ends up leaking. I'm thinking the water in the carpet sitting in the heat is creating a lot of cab humidity, which is making the smear.

At least that's my thought.

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Clean Carpet with carpet cleaner.

Clean upholstery with Armorall Wipes.

Do not use textile dash covers etc.

Get yourself a passive dehumidifier Box at Home Depot and put it into the cab and leave it there for 24 hours.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Smeary glass is caused by the slow release (off-gassing) of chemicals used in the vehicle's manufacturing process. The list of chemicals is a witch's brew including toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, heavy metals, and polyvinyl chloride. The problem is worse in newer cars but even older vehicles experience this during the warmer summer months when heat and ultraviolet light levels are up. There's really nothing you can do to prevent it, but keeping interior temps down with sunshades and partially open windows or sunroofs can help.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My never going to get worked on GTA is only dry inside if I leave the Damp-Rid bucket in it. I use the scented stuff nowto keep it fresh.
My son's GTA grew some funky mold inside while parked in out garage. The only thing that stopped it was Mr Clean citrus all surface cleaner. It has EDTA as an active ingredient which breaks cell walls, even on anthrax.
If all else fails, try Virusrat TBQ.

Just think, you are breathing all those chemicals too.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Well I discovered that part of my issue is that the carpet was apparently wet due to the POS leaky **** of a sunroof. I hate that friggen thing so very very bad. I've tried so damn hard to seal it, theres got to be 20lbs of various caulks up there... lol that sounded dirty

Case in point I just took a look after a real hard rain we just had and yup. There was a wet spot on the seat. I just hope its not ruining all that nice new insulation I put down!

And what about the textile dash covers? You mean carpet covers? Because I do have one of those...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave