Side markers turn on when pressing brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I didn't find anything on this--I apologize if it's nothing new to you guys!

This is for my 76 GMC 1 ton.

I see my side markers glow dim, and kind of strobe a bit (dim to somewhat bright) when I press the brakes.

So, I put it in park, held brake and messed with light switch (out and in quickly) and nothing changed.

When I held the brakes (lights still dim) and turned on the light switch they were bright.

I swear I've gotten all grounds cleaned/properly secured, and fixed bad wires--did I miss something?

Secondary to above: fuel Guage doesn't work, but selector switch does!!! Sooooo I just randomly stop to top it off!!

Any suggestions/advice/comments are so welcome---my brain hurts after the few years of work and tracing wiring on this thing!!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It sounds like an issue between the hazard system and the marker lights. Someone should be able to get you the correct wiring diagram.

Proper operation, when these trucks have the hazards on and you press the brake pedal, the front markers stay solid when the brake lights are on. Im not sure with headlights on, i know they still stop flashing but I don't know if it stops on the brighter output or the normal output.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I didn't find anything on this--I apologize if it's nothing new to you guys!

This is for my 76 GMC 1 ton.

I see my side markers glow dim, and kind of strobe a bit (dim to somewhat bright) when I press the brakes.

So, I put it in park, held brake and messed with light switch (out and in quickly) and nothing changed.

When I held the brakes (lights still dim) and turned on the light switch they were bright.

I swear I've gotten all grounds cleaned/properly secured, and fixed bad wires--did I miss something?

Secondary to above: fuel Guage doesn't work, but selector switch does!!! Sooooo I just randomly stop to top it off!!

Any suggestions/advice/comments are so welcome---my brain hurts after the few years of work and tracing wiring on this thing!!
I swear You don't have all the grounds fixed.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Side markers, you mean the front ones? Front ones use a trick of being grounded via turn signals, so that they go off when the indicator lamp turns on. By any chance you have any LED bulbs that may mess up resistances?
Rear should be just connected to park lamps.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
@rusted nuts I was swearing a little bit too!!! :Big Laugh: I am sure you are right though...sick of wiring.

@mibars Oh man, I am sorry I should have explained better! The side front markers on my dually fenders are the ones I saw in my mirror doing that--I did not have anyone around to check out the other lights for me. For the record, no I do not have any LED bulbs in anything--these are the stock style bulbs in everything around the truck.

Sorry guys about not explaining the exact markers---front dually fender orange ones. I need to have someone stand around the truck as I press the brakes and see what other ones do this.

This is what sucks about a low truck--it's a lot of work to jack it all up and crawl around for wiring issues.

v30

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Check the brake light bulbs for filament sag, could be getting feedback that way.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Push and pull the hazard switch knob several times, see if that does anything for your market light issue. Sometimes that “fixes” quirky tail/brake/ marker light operation.

If you are positive all the bulbs are correct, the sockets are clean and making good contact, and all the grounds are good, try a new turn signal switch. Just plug it in, don’t install it until you are sure it solves your issue.

There are about a dozen different switches that open and close depending on turn signal switch position, any one can cause funny light operation. It’s kinda amazing they don’t give more problems than they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe