should i lift it??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgorski369

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I got a 1984 GMC Seirra Classic and I was thinking bout either a body lift or just doing a suspension lift which do you think is best? I was thinking about a 3 inch or 6 inch?:jester::drunk:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do everything possible to avoid the body lift. Stick with the suspension lift. I had a Skyjacker Softride 6" lift on a Burb, loved it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup, avoid body lift. Even going 4in suspension lift avoids other lengthening issues.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
My vote , 6" with 35's
mellow lift , super clean , here's my girl's 78 I bulit for her and she drives it everyday , with lots of comment's from the guy's where she work's.

You must be registered for see images attach

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
lift lift lift.. no body crap.. :hump:

My vote , 6" with 35's
mellow lift , super clean , here's my girl's 78 I bulit for her and she drives it everyday , with lots of comment's from the guy's where she work's.

Stunning rig.. Uhh.. why is a rock tucked under the tire...

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's another vote for suspension lift only. I can't stand body lifts. :shakehead:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My vote , 6" with 35's

I still like this truck, even though it's brown and tan !!! Need to find you some later model door pouches for it though. I found me a nice set of Blue door pouches with the flaps out of an 89 at PAP last time I went. Real easy to swap on the door panel. That truck is about flawless otherwise.

So how is the steering with a 6in lift and 35's? I know you use the drop arm, but how about travel and such? I've been told 4in about the max for there not to be any steering issue at all.
I've always figured if I was going to lift it high enough to justify crossover steering, I'd probably go with at least an 8 or 10 inch lift and then again, that causes another set of issues.

jgorski369

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
well I can get a 6 inch lift and 35's from my brother if he hasn't sold it yet :/

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's a no brainer then. Get busy with it.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I still like this truck, even though it's brown and tan !!! Need to find you some later model door pouches for it though. I found me a nice set of Blue door pouches with the flaps out of an 89 at PAP last time I went. Real easy to swap on the door panel. That truck is about flawless otherwise.

So how is the steering with a 6in lift and 35's? I know you use the drop arm, but how about travel and such? I've been told 4in about the max for there not to be any steering issue at all.
I've always figured if I was going to lift it high enough to justify crossover steering, I'd probably go with at least an 8 or 10 inch lift and then again, that causes another set of issues.

She has the pouches now.

The steering is great , two finger's on the wheel at 70mph and it only has a 6" skyjacker steering arm and I boxed the frame where the steering mounts.I also took out the 2 degree shim that came on the front springs , so the front axle is not rolled forward , so it drives like a stock , (no lift truck).

The springs are skyjacker soft ride all around and it's stiffer than stock but not bad at all.

It's a pavement pounder for the most part but she has had it stuck up to the doors in the lakebed mud a couple times.

Really it drive's like it just rolled out of the dealership in 1978 and it has every option you could get at the time and everything works.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I really like the seat, what did that come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hirsh needs to stop posting his trucks in threads to help others. It tends to hijack the OP's original thread. :happy175: Notice where the thread has gone???

So now my turn.
hirsh, in your opinion, does this vehicle to have a 4 or 6 in kit? I know it's 35in tires if that helps. I got the springs out of this truck and the only markings I see is what I think is part of a part # which I've no luck finding, and Rancho, so I know it's a Rancho spring and the shocks and stabilizers were also Ranch. Shocks are ****, but I intend on using the springs, and drop steering arm. I was thinking I'm prolly going to have to use 33's being it's likely a 4in kit.

Attachments

• JnoTrucks 001b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 001b.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 140

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
hirsh needs to stop posting his trucks in threads to help others. It tends to hijack the OP's original thread. :happy175: Notice where the thread has gone???

So now my turn.
hirsh, in your opinion, does this vehicle to have a 4 or 6 in kit? I know it's 35in tires if that helps. I got the springs out of this truck and the only markings I see is what I think is part of a part # which I've no luck finding, and Rancho, so I know it's a Rancho spring and the shocks and stabilizers were also Ranch. Shocks are ****, but I intend on using the springs, and drop steering arm. I was thinking I'm prolly going to have to use 33's being it's likely a 4in kit.

Sorry , I like lifted square's so much I start to freak out and loose control , if I had space and more money I would cover my whole property with 70's square's and build a fence around them with more square's.

Anyway , I would say 4" , I dont think rancho had 6" spring's but I could be wrong and those 35's look stuffed a bit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry , I like lifted square's so much I start to freak out and loose control , if I had space and more money I would cover my whole property with 70's square's and build a fence around them with more square's.

Anyway , I would say 4" , I dont think rancho had 6" spring's but I could be wrong and those 35's look stuffed a bit.

Kinda what I was thinking. And the rear just had 2in lift blocks and it sitting a little low in the rear. So on my truck, I'll be using the Rancho springs up front, moving the rear spring hanger back to accept 56 inch C6P 3/4 ton springs with the same 2in lift blocks and that should make my K10 sit level and have a bit more strength in the ass end for towing the trailer but yet still ride fairly nice. I'm thinking of 33x10.50 BFG All Terrains with that lift kit. Nothing overkill. Just want a little lift, close to OEM tires and hope to save a mile or 2 per gallon going with the skinny tires. :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue