Shopping for Angle Grinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Costco in Winchester had the 4 1/2 inch Dewalt for $49.99 last week. Thats where I got mine and it has proven to be indestructable. I removed 95% of the paint and about three thousand pounds of body filler from my 40 Cadillac with it.
You must be registered for see images

By null at 2009-10-09
Haha, I love the boat fender hanging on the door, does that help in parking lots? :roflbow: :High 5:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just buy the cheapest one you can find, YOU are NOT going to use it EVERYDAY, your not a metal fabber.

Heres an idea, Why dont you do a SEARCH on what ever ones you find look at reviews, and pick the 1 you like the best

That what I was doing on Kawasaki but I never Kawasaki power tool thats I why I kinda asked if Kawasaki is a good brand for a home owener or not. If I was a metal fabber I would buy air angle grinder not electric.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I went tractor supply to get a angle grinder and all they had was display models. Sorry I dont buy display models on anything unless the price is reduced.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Not so much in parking lots, but it did keep the wife from adding to her door ding collection when parking her Subie in the garage. The Caddie went bye-bye to pay for the new engine in the truck sadly enough.
And back on topic, Dave have you checked Costco? Also check the Martinsburg TSC they are usually pretty well stocked on grinders....

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Not so much in parking lots, but it did keep the wife from adding to her door ding collection when parking her Subie in the garage. The Caddie went bye-bye to pay for the new engine in the truck sadly enough.
And back on topic, Dave have you checked Costco? Also check the Martinsburg TSC they are usually pretty well stocked on grinders....

Costco didnt show anything online and TSC didnt much when the one here checked to see if they had anything in martinsburg.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What ya gonna get Dave? :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/...sories/mibro-grinding-stone-set-5-pc--3812812

Here is what I was taking about Dave. $7.99 and get a few of them in differant shapes and sizes for a drill motor. Cheap way out using a drill motor. It will take you a little longer but save you some cash too. You don't need the metal poished and shieny, just knock the rust off, clean it up a bit and away you go. This is what my ring looked like when I started my head. Just knocked the rust off and made the metal smoother is all, and didn't clean the whole thing.
attachment.php

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
HR, is that a before or after electrolysis pic? :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HR, is that a before or after electrolysis pic? :popcorn:

That is before. That was just after I got done bolting it together, set it in the tub and fired it up. It really wasn't all the clean. Just knocked the rust off of it, and it wasn't painted either so its bare virgin steel. Only parts I got shiney was the mating surface where I bolted it together so that I'd know I got good connection between the 2 pieces of iron, and the interior corners got a little shiney incidently while knocking the rust off. Actually, I think some course sandpaper would have cleaned it just as well.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'll still need a angle grinder for cleaning the other parts before I prime and paint them.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've already made the grinder brand suggestion, only other things I would suggest is to pick up a small fire extinguisher for your shop area you'll be using it in. These grinders run at 10,000+ rpms and throw a lot of sparks. Be aware of any gas cans, oil, rags or other combustibles when running your grinder and mount your extinguisher near an exit. Heavy gloves, welder's jacket, boots and eye protection, maybe a face shield if you're not used to being around so much sparks would be a good idea too. I cant tell you how many times I've had metal particles make their way around my safety glasses so goggles may be a better choice. I'm not trying to discourage you or add unnecessary expense, just want everyone to be safe if they ever pick one of these tools up. I have a small saw blade for mine and I tell ya, it gives me chills just holding it. IF it ever got out of control, it would probably cut my fingers off, climb my arm, cut my jugular then shoot out the window and half way down the street before I could even think the words "Uh-oh". Gotta have respect when handling an angle grinder.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I've already made the grinder brand suggestion, only other things I would suggest is to pick up a small fire extinguisher for your shop area you'll be using it in. These grinders run at 10,000+ rpms and throw a lot of sparks. Be aware of any gas cans, oil, rags or other combustibles when running your grinder and mount your extinguisher near an exit. Heavy gloves, welder's jacket, boots and eye protection, maybe a face shield if you're not used to being around so much sparks would be a good idea too. I cant tell you how many times I've had metal particles make their way around my safety glasses so goggles may be a better choice. I'm not trying to discourage you or add unnecessary expense, just want everyone to be safe if they ever pick one of these tools up. I have a small saw blade for mine and I tell ya, it gives me chills just holding it. IF it ever got out of control, it would probably cut my fingers off, climb my arm, cut my jugular then shoot out the window and half way down the street before I could even think the words "Uh-oh". Gotta have respect when handling an angle grinder.

Well If I dont like what sears has then I'm getting this Milwaukee one from home depot http://outboundlink.net/anxo/dr_ta_...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202101584 . I got another $250 coming this when 2 wheels come in for my Honda push mower I have for sale. Plus another wants his murray pushmower fixed and he probably gonna leave it with me this week also. So I'm doing ok right now on cash flow.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The brand of the grinder is not the point of that post I made. :Frustrated:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The brand of the grinder is not the point of that post I made. :Frustrated:

I know its safety use of it. Will check into some safety goggles if I dont have any but I think I have the safety goggles that came with my stihl weedeater still. Probably gonna use it outside anyways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85