She's dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Driving my truck the past few days she's wanting to die on me. I turned down the radio to hear it. Sounds like it's struggling for fuel. Should I just replace carb and pump or somewhere else to start? Maybe tuning carb (which I'm not experienced in at all)? It's a 1969 307 with a q-jet and stock tanks. 83 c10 swb dual tanks, but only running the left one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
With the Q-Jet, always start at the filter, especially if it hasn't been replaced since you owned it. It's behind that big nut where the fuel line connects. Just undo the line, and then undo the nut. Be careful with the spring in there, too. You can also check the accelerator pump diaphragm by looking down the carb and actuating the throttle. You should get two healthy shots of fuel that begin the instant you move the throttle. There's also a fuel volume test you can do for the pump that someone told me about once. I believe the test was you should be able to disconnect the fuel line and fill a 20 oz. Coke bottle with gasoline in 8 seconds. That filter check, the acc. pump test, and the fuel pump test should be a good start. If that doesn't take you anywhere, you can always disconnect the fuel line going into the pump and suck fuel straight out of a gasoline can to pinpoint a potential issue's location either behind or in front of the pump itself, including the pump if it still runs bad.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
With the Q-Jet, always start at the filter, especially if it hasn't been replaced since you owned it. It's behind that big nut where the fuel line connects. Just undo the line, and then undo the nut. Be careful with the spring in there, too. You can also check the accelerator pump diaphragm by looking down the carb and actuating the throttle. You should get two healthy shots of fuel that begin the instant you move the throttle. There's also a fuel volume test you can do for the pump that someone told me about once. I believe the test was you should be able to disconnect the fuel line and fill a 20 oz. Coke bottle with gasoline in 8 seconds. That filter check, the acc. pump test, and the fuel pump test should be a good start. If that doesn't take you anywhere, you can always disconnect the fuel line going into the pump and suck fuel straight out of a gasoline can to pinpoint a potential issue's location either behind or in front of the pump itself, including the pump if it still runs bad.
Awesome, thanks bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You're welcome! Let us know what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade