New member from California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74ChevC10Cruizn

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys, new member here, long time lurker. Figured it was finally time to register.

I have a 1974 C10 2WD SWB I'm in the process of restoring/modifying. All new powertrain: engine, trans, diff.

'96 383 full roller, Stage 2 700r4 and 3.73 gears in a 12 bolt coming soon.

Just realized I don't have any good pictures of my truck with it assembled but I do have videos of me working on the build process. I'll embed a link to my YouTube page here.

I know lots of people are moving towards FiTech and Holley EFI kits myself included, I'll be posting some info on my trials and tribulations getting mine installed so hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.

I've owned a 1974 SWB C10 since around 2007 when I turned 18 and was dying to get my hands on a truck much like the C10's owned by my brothers and grandfather.

As a struggling student at the time I didn't have the funds to restore or modify the truck the way I would have liked much less keep it running dependably. I remember having constant battles with my gummed up carburetor, oil leaks and worn suspension to name a few things and only being able to afford repairs $100 at a time.

I enlisted in the US Army a couple of classes shy of completing my Associates degree when I started a family a bit too young and I realized I needed to make a sacrifice to serve country and hopefully provide a better future and opportunities for my family as my 50+ hour work-week at minimum wage jobs and school schedule weren't enough to allow me to provide the bare necessities for my family. I couldn't stand knowing I couldn't give them everything they needed or deserved.

I left my truck in the care of my older brother while I was stationed out of state and again deployed over seas with the hopes of one day returning and having the time/money to realize my dream of fixing up my truck as I had so many fond memories growing up with my grandfather hauling us around town in his C10.

Long story short I was medically discharged after a deployment related injury. After being enlisted approximately 5 years on the other side of the country I returned to my hometown to my neglected truck to begin my transition back to civilian life.

I've been fortunate enough to have some money to make great progress on my build and the help from friends to get my truck near road worthy condition about a little less than a year after I started the disassembly.

Check out my build, I'm super proud and excited to wrap up the final touches needed to get this beast on the road to share with the world. I'm a working man and it's not a show-quality hot rod or a 950 hp monster but I'm happy with what I have.

I'm hoping to have all of my videos edited and posted by the end of the month.

Look forward to being part of the GMSquareBody community!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA9cL6EF9PAoLqM9Wu-UUDQD0dZ6yBKjn

Last edited:

BiggG74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Can't wait for the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, looking forward to seeing the progress..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
This is a great story, it sounds like it's a great truck in the making, and welcome to the community. I'd also like to say thanks for your service. I'll be watching for your updates. :popcorn:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Welcome to the board!

An EFI conversion has piqued my interest of late, can't wait to see how yours all turns out!

74ChevC10Cruizn

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the welcomes guys!

I should have videos and write-ups on my EFI install within the next week or two

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB. Thanks for your service, hopefully you're up for a full recovery from the injury. Sorry to hear you're from Cali. Me too, but I left in Dec of 90. Can't say I'm homesick. What part are you from? I was born and raised in the Downey/Norwalk area but worked all over LA and Orange County.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

74ChevC10Cruizn

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB. Thanks for your service, hopefully you're up for a full recovery from the injury. Sorry to hear you're from Cali. Me too, but I left in Dec of 90. Can't say I'm homesick. What part are you from? I was born and raised in the Downey/Norwalk area but worked all over LA and Orange County.

HotRodPC, thanks for the well wishes, I've made a lot of progress since spine surgery where I couldn't even walk, sit up in a hospital bed or walk without a walker/cane to the point today where I'm able to do most things for short periods of time.

I'm from a small farming area about 40 miles North of Sacramento.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HotRodPC, thanks for the well wishes, I've made a lot of progress since spine surgery where I couldn't even walk, sit up in a hospital bed or walk without a walker/cane to the point today where I'm able to do most things for short periods of time.

I'm from a small farming area about 40 miles North of Sacramento.

Hope that goes well. I was there too, had surgery at age 30. Then another 2 years later. blah blah blah, fast forward to 51 now and filed for disability in need of several more surgeries and I'm probably going to opt out on the low back surgery and keep what I got. Will do the neck, arm and hands surgeries though since success rate is much higher and I need my hands for sure. Even if I end up in a wheelchair, I can at least still build engines, transmissions, trucks and drive so long as it's an auto trans and I can get in it.

74ChevC10Cruizn

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hope that goes well. I was there too, had surgery at age 30. Then another 2 years later. blah blah blah, fast forward to 51 now and filed for disability in need of several more surgeries and I'm probably going to opt out on the low back surgery and keep what I got. Will do the neck, arm and hands surgeries though since success rate is much higher and I need my hands for sure. Even if I end up in a wheelchair, I can at least still build engines, transmissions, trucks and drive so long as it's an auto trans and I can get in it.

I hope I don't live long enough to the point where I need another spine fusion :shrug: It gave me overall better quality-of-life I suppose but post-surgery recovery was a B***H

That a good attitude to have, the way I see it the only person who can keep you down is yourself.:cheers:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Welcome and Thank You for your service!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hope I don't live long enough to the point where I need another spine fusion :shrug: It gave me overall better quality-of-life I suppose but post-surgery recovery was a B***H

That a good attitude to have, the way I see it the only person who can keep you down is yourself.:cheers:

Yep, I'm going to opt out of fusion, Harrington rods, screws and all that ********. I'll deal with what I have as long as I can still walk for the most part. I will have the neck, arm and both hands surgeries though since there is a much higher success rate and I don't want to lose my hands.

I've got a buddy that had a leg amputated. He's all about feeling sorry for hisself. He's a mechanic too. Seeing him, I've given lots of thought to if I had to lose upper or lower extremeties, my choice would be to lose my leg or legs. Without hands I wouldn't be able to rebuild engines or transmissions anymore. I wouldn't be able to drive etc. I've brought all of this up to him and doesn't seem to matter. He'll stay depressed and drink himself to death. He's 60 now almost 61 and I highly doubt he'll see 62.

When I was 30 and had my first surgery I was told I'd be in wheelchair by age 50. I'm 51 and not there yet. Damn close, but not yet. Not only dealing with low back pain but severe numbness in my legs. I just don't feel them sometimes and I have to be very concious of every step I take. Once up and around for about 20-30 minutes some feeling comes back. But it's taking longer and longer to get them back, and they go away much easier now. Just nerve damage progressing is all it is.

1ATony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here

Tony

Latest posts