Shade-Tree tranny part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
I'm like 5'9" and 320lbs, so I definitely look like a cartoon character in mine! :roflbow: My pops was taller & bigger than I am, and he drove it till I got it, so I feel like a whiner if I complain. I am looking to swap to a smaller Grant steering wheel at some point though. Sliding in sideways to get my thighs under the wheel is a PITA!! LOL

:lol: That's the main reason I put the steering wheel in mine that I did. Not because of me as I have no problem but my dad is on the big side and I thought that'd help him (the '77 is technically his and mine). As it is he rarely drives it anyway but I guess it does help for those rare times that he does drive it. :)

HA! that's why I swapped out my column for a tilt one..

You all have tilt steering?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I don't have tilt steering yet but is on the list of swaps to do in the future:) I don't much problem even at 6'3" unless I also have both boys riding with me then it starts feeling a little tight :)

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
There was a mod some big boys were doing to their tilt columns on another forum that pushed the steering column in so they could fit under the wheel.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know a couple lard asses that had their square parked for over a year cuz they got to fat to drive. They also installed tilt wheels and smaller Grant wheels. You'd think they could lay off the twinkies. In fact, I bought one of the truck I had from one of them. He bought the Silverado for the tilt column and few other parts. He was gonna make me a hell of a deal and give me the old standard steering column, if I'd install the tilt column for him cuz he was so damn fat he couldn't do it himself. I had no use for the standard column since all my project trucks have Tilt, Cruise, PL, PW and AC or I wouldn't have them. He ended up offering me $100 to do it and since he was so far away, like 30 miles, I declined.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have a buddy back home that is about 5' 8" and he claimed he was 450 pounds. This guy was as wide as he was tall, he drove a K1500 just like mine for a while and never complained. Shortly after he did buy a Mega cab Dodge though.

The biggest dude I ever met drove a square body Suburban, I worked with him at the county. This guy was so god damn big they had to un bolt the seat in his dump truck and move the seat frame back just so he could drive the truck. The peterbuilt trucks steering wheel would move into the straight up position and that was the only way this guy fit in the truck. I gave him a ride in a 2000 something single cab chevy truck once and his stomach literally blocked my view of the passenger side mirror, I could not see out of his side of the truck with him in the seat.

If those two guys I mentioned can fit in their pickups I think anyone would fit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a buddy back home that is about 5' 8" and he claimed he was 450 pounds. This guy was as wide as he was tall, he drove a K1500 just like mine for a while and never complained. Shortly after he did buy a Mega cab Dodge though.

The biggest dude I ever met drove a square body Suburban, I worked with him at the county. This guy was so god damn big they had to un bolt the seat in his dump truck and move the seat frame back just so he could drive the truck. The peterbuilt trucks steering wheel would move into the straight up position and that was the only way this guy fit in the truck. I gave him a ride in a 2000 something single cab chevy truck once and his stomach literally blocked my view of the passenger side mirror, I could not see out of his side of the truck with him in the seat.

If those two guys I mentioned can fit in their pickups I think anyone would fit.

I'd imagine with enough sweat in one of the rolls of his gut, the steering wheel probably slid right thru it without causing a rash too. :happy175:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
wow....somethings I just cannot fathom and being that big is one of them!!!

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
I know a couple lard asses that had their square parked for over a year cuz they got to fat to drive. They also installed tilt wheels and smaller Grant wheels. You'd think they could lay off the twinkies. In fact, I bought one of the truck I had from one of them. He bought the Silverado for the tilt column and few other parts. He was gonna make me a hell of a deal and give me the old standard steering column, if I'd install the tilt column for him cuz he was so damn fat he couldn't do it himself. I had no use for the standard column since all my project trucks have Tilt, Cruise, PL, PW and AC or I wouldn't have them. He ended up offering me $100 to do it and since he was so far away, like 30 miles, I declined.

wow....somethings I just cannot fathom and being that big is one of them!!!

WWOOOOWEEEEEE!!!! you all have me here crackin up out loud at my flatscreen..!!

:roflbow: :lol:

That DumpTruck story is CLASSIC!! WOW

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I think I may have a way of adding tilt and telescopic wheel to my next project...:D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I may have a way of adding tilt and telescopic wheel to my next project...:D

I think telescopic wheel would be great in a Square. Caddy column? Whudda you need it for Retro, you skinny ass would look like a zipper if you spit your tongue out !!! You plan on going on a Twinkie and BonBon Binge???

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
HA! that's why I swapped out my column for a tilt one..

You all have tilt steering?

Nope. No tilt for me. Could you even get it on a Custom? I have no plans to change mine out. Driving it is fine for me. I just hate having to slide in to avoid banging my knee or lower thigh on the wheel. For what little I drive it, it's easy for me to overlook it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I installed a tilt column but don't really need it for steering wheel/gut clearance issues. When I had my tach mounted on the column I couldn't really see it with the Grant wheel, which is why I swapped mine out. Also I had planned on going to an automatic down the road and wanted the column shifter.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Nope. No tilt for me. Could you even get it on a Custom? I have no plans to change mine out. Driving it is fine for me. I just hate having to slide in to avoid banging my knee or lower thigh on the wheel. For what little I drive it, it's easy for me to overlook it.

I'm pretty sure you could have probably ordered a Custom Deluxe with tilt, but I know mine didn't have it. It didn't bother my dad none, when he had it, but me... naaahh had to have it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I actually don't use my tilt either but I have to have Cruise for my bad back on long drives, and I like PL and PW so I get tilt with the Silverados. Lucky for me, I have close to a foot between my gut and the wheel, and where the wheel is straight with the column, is comfy for me. Only time I move my tilt is if my dogs ride with me, one of them likes to sit on my lap and I move the wheel so she don't bump it. But I do want a smaller Grant wheel. Not a big fan of the biggo honkin OEM wheels.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I think telescopic wheel would be great in a Square. Caddy column? Whudda you need it for Retro, you skinny ass would look like a zipper if you spit your tongue out !!! You plan on going on a Twinkie and BonBon Binge???

Nah, Chevy column and wheel.

I just want all the gadgets and gizmos I can possibly put in a square and still retain a factory look. Probably the only aftermarket/non OEM parts on the truck will be the fuel tank switch (factory one can't handle TPI pressure apparently) and the intermediate steering shaft (using a Jeep part).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76