Shade-Tree tranny part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
As towman said, the 700r4 is adjusted at the TV (Throttle Valve) cable. Generally, changing the shift points to a little later will firm up the shift, but if you want an even firmer shift, then you can get a shift kit. Also on the 700r4, you can install the Corvette Servo for 1-2 shift, and that will just firm up the shift without changing the shift points.
On the Th350, you have both a detent cable that is equal to the TV cable of a 700r4, and a Vacuum Modulator, so you do have more room to play with on adjustment on the Th350. You can firm up the modulator to delay the shift a hair and firm up the shift, while you can also tighten up the detent cable that also does the kickdown, and change the shift points and really firm up the shift. Normally on a Th350, I tell people to set the vac modulator where you like the shift points at light and medium throttle, and then adjust the detent cable to where you like your full throttle shift points and down shift points.
Do keep in mind, a huge difference in the Th350 detent cable and the 700r4 TV cable, is that the 350 can operate just fine without the cable hooked up, let alone having the be adjusted correctly. Just that it won't kickdown and shifts may be early. On the 700r4, the TV cable MUST BE HOOKED UP, and needs to be adjusted within proper settings or you will fry the trans in very short order. Reason being, the 700r4 TV cable also regulates fluid pressure where the Th350 has its own seperate fluid pressure regulator within the vavle body. On the 700r4, if you don't have the TV cable hooked up to tell the transmission that you are going full or medium throttle, then the transmission doesn't know to increase the fluid pressure and hold the clutch packs tighter for the extra load, therefore, the trans thinks you are moving at light throttle with light fluid pressure so the clutches are now slipping and getting hot because they are not compressed tight enuogh. Hopefully that didn't confuse anyone. In short, Its OK to NOT hook up the cable on the Th350 although you probably won't like the shift points, but on a 700r4 the cable must be hooked up and adjusted properly or you'll fry the trans.

:hail:--> HotRodPC

Your my HERO!! I just became more edumicated. Too bad you weren't near me, I'd be at your place like everyday asking questions.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea aint that the truth I'd be over hanging with the guy giving him any help I could all the time. Love to hang out with guys that do the junk I do all the time. Kind of a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours thing.

As for my hrpc done got a case, the old long tail that came from dad's truck. Case good insides suck.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
:hail:--> HotRodPC

Your my HERO!! I just became more edumicated. Too bad you weren't near me, I'd be at your place like everyday asking questions.

Yeah, I need some of you guys to move to GA! LOL!

I found a link to a demo on how to properly set the TV cable on the 700r and what over things need to be verified 1st, such as the butterfly being fully open at WOT. I'm going to try to check the current setup this weekend and see if I can determine if it's set right. I like the firmness of the shifts, but the early shifting (on top of the 2.73 rear) just kills the performance (what little I have). Now, if I manually shift so it hold's the gears longer, I runs strong as hell. If the cable IS set right, I'll just hold off til I do the rear and maybe the 3.42s will let the revs get up better before shifting.

Last edited:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well.. thank ya!! I really do understand what your saying, and the guy seemed to know what he was doing, and yes it was a bench re-build, and the t-converter was new,as well as the flex plate. I was trying to be as economical as I could by pulling it out myself, (with plenty of help, of course)..

I really do enjoy working on my truck myself, or most cars for that matter (my girlfriends car.. mom's car..friends cars..etc), I just wish i knew how to re-build tranny's, or I would have tackled it myself for that matter.

However, I seriously doubt that I'm going to have anymore problems with it. I drove it around for about a good while at different speeds and such, A/C blowing cold, and Steely Dan in the JukeBox :)

She really hummed along with no hesitations with the tranny. I really do appreciate your input.. very much so!! I really do get a majority of my info from you guys here on this site. Talk about a treasure trove of info!

Now you need to post some vids of you smoking the tires and catching 2nd with that strong new tranny! lol

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Now you need to post some vids of you smoking the tires and catching 2nd with that strong new tranny! lol

LOL.. RIIIIIIIIGHHT.., That's prolly what got me in trouble in the first darn place...!!!

Me and my big 'ol lead foot size 12 self.. :Sumo:

I'm 6 foot 226, I look like Grape Ape driving my square. All you see is arms and a fat head.. LOL

The folks back in the 70's and 80's musta been small people, can't understand why they made such a cramped cab for big guys..:think: no fair!

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
LOL.. RIIIIIIIIGHHT.., That's prolly what got me in trouble in the first darn place...!!!

I'm 6 foot 226, I look like Grape Ape driving my square. All you see is arms and a fat head.. LOL

The folks back in the 70's and 80's musta been small people, can't understand why they made such a cramped cab for big guys..:think: no fair!

According to Wikipedia's chart the average height of men over 20....

All american men- 5' 4"
White american men- 5' 5"
black american men- 5' 4 1/2"
Mexican american men- 5' 2 1/2"

I noticed the exact same thing the other day, my wife was driving me around in her F-150 work truck the other day and it felt WAY better.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ha, you're a little dude. I'm 6'2 250 with a size 13 wide. Hard to keep my foot off the pedal too. Just can't help it. Is that the exuse we can use???

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty

All american men- 5' 4"

I noticed the exact same thing the other day, my wife was driving me around in her F-150 work truck the other day and it felt WAY better.

Geeez.. well, if Wickipedia has it... it's golden! LOL
it's all good, I've always been out of the 'average' realm anyway, story of my life... :naughty:

Ha, you're a little dude. I'm 6'2 250 with a size 13 wide. Hard to keep my foot off the pedal too. Just can't help it. Is that the exuse we can use???

No doubt!!!... seriously, I just "rest" my foot on the go-pedal, and I'm cruising like 70 on the highway... built in cruise control :)

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty

Oh no... feeling WAY better in a Furd?? That's like sacrilege or something isn't it....?? :crazy:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Oh no... feeling WAY better in a Furd?? That's like sacrilege or something isn't it....?? :crazy:

I like screwin with all the regulars, if I had the cash I would be driving a super duty.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

All american men- 5' 4"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say these numbers are way off. Otherwise at 6'3" I'm a friggin giant!!! :lol:

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
I like screwin with all the regulars, if I had the cash I would be driving a super duty.

Thas kool... no discrimination there.. huh? LOL

Actually.. when I was running a machine for a concrete company.. the big dog handed me keys to my own F450 Super Duty Diesel, 04 or 05 i think... Thing was massive and tough. Only bad thing tough, is he ordered it with an Auto Tranny...:think: and it kept dying on me... shoulda got the 5-speed.

I know he had the ECM chipped, and that thing would flat wind up and move.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say these numbers are way off. Otherwise at 6'3" I'm a friggin giant!!! :lol:

I agree, those #'s have got to be wrong. I'd be thinking more like 5'8-5'10 as an average.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

I'm like 5'9" and 320lbs, so I definitely look like a cartoon character in mine! :roflbow: My pops was taller & bigger than I am, and he drove it till I got it, so I feel like a whiner if I complain. I am looking to swap to a smaller Grant steering wheel at some point though. Sliding in sideways to get my thighs under the wheel is a PITA!! LOL

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm like 5'9" and 320lbs, so I definitely look like a cartoon character in mine! :roflbow: My pops was taller & bigger than I am, and he drove it till I got it, so I feel like a whiner if I complain. I am looking to swap to a smaller Grant steering wheel at some point though. Sliding in sideways to get my thighs under the wheel is a PITA!! LOL

:lol: That's the main reason I put the steering wheel in mine that I did. Not because of me as I have no problem but my dad is on the big side and I thought that'd help him (the '77 is technically his and mine). As it is he rarely drives it anyway but I guess it does help for those rare times that he does drive it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76