shackle flip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Click the link at the bottom of the post...

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Appreciate Ya!

1986K30

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
7.4L
so is it slotted to move the axle how does it exactly work and where can i get them?

I have a pair I would sell for $35 shipped. They are brand new. Through ORD they were $40 + $8 shipping

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
I have a pair I would sell for $35 shipped.

I need a set for the rear, I'll take them.

PM me and we can set it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dirtroadoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
What front axle do you have, Ingram? You might find yourself in need of a right side flat-top knuckle for crossover steering. You need to share all your specs so we can better help you. The zero-rates will allow you to move the axle by either 1" or 1.5" if you choose or center just like stock. Moving the front axle forward some might be a good idea for you in order to reduce the likelihood of the tire contacting the lower rear corner of the wheel wells when steering.

As for lift springs, look into the Tuff Country Easy-Ride springs They're not spongy but won't beat your kidneys out like skyjacker and Superlift and such.

As for myself, I have factory springs on mine. 52's up front with 7" shackle and DIY4X B52's, 56's out back with ord shackle flip and DIY4X 6" usdr super shackles.

You have enough to think over yet? LOL!

k5krawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
83/84/77
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
the shackle flips we used at the 4x4 shop gave 6in on stock leafs

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
I have been thinking about buying the DIY 52 and beyond kit for the front and mounting 56s. I want to hard mount the spring at the back where the shackles is and put the shackle up front to correct my pinion angle. I am running d60 up front in my k30. I noticed the old jeeps do this. Trucks a daily driver with 38s and I want to go bigger this year 40-44S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have been thinking about buying the DIY 52 and beyond kit for the front and mounting 56s. I want to hard mount the spring at the back where the shackles is and put the shackle up front to correct my pinion angle. I am running d60 up front in my k30. I noticed the old jeeps do this. Trucks a daily driver with 38s and I want to go bigger this year 40-44S

Old jeeps and some older leaf sprung fords utilize a shackle in the front. You'll also find there are "fix" kits for both applications to move the shackle to the rear. Having the shackle up front can cause a lot of steering wander. The fixed point in the rear can cause bent springs during compression off road.

I wouldn't do it.

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
Ok didn't know that thank you. Guess il just move the perches

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
the shackle at the rear of the spring is definitely a better design, for ride quality purposes. with the shackle at the front of the spring, as you hit a bump the actual will try and push forward ( as the front mount is the one that is not solid) into whatever you're trying to go over. this creates a rougher ride. with the shack what the back, the actual actually move away from whatever bump you're trying to go over, and will go over it smoother.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
buddy you should be able to clear 33's now, we did on our 86.

As for shackle flip it's off road design. it's 2 new frame brackets that hold the shackle on the bottom and not the top like stock and give you around 4 inches of lift.

As for the front 52 inch swap, you have to remove the front hangers from each side, the very front ones by the body mount/with the body mount, flip and switch sides, that let's you do the 52 inch or (rear) springs in front. I think they give you are 4 inches though I forget. You may also have to move the rear shackle on the front springs to allow better movement, possibly just a long shackle.

ok here's one...

http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

shackle flip
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

diy4x also has shackle flips and new front mounts for 52's.

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=24

I looked at the CK5 one and I cant tell that he lifted it any by the pictures. Am I missing something?

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
Nevermind I found what I was missing sorry about that.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
I'm thinking about doing the shackle flip on the rear and putting 52 inch springs in the front of my 85 crew cab to get a cheap lift that will still ride somewhat decent. This truck will be a daily driver also. Any suggestions?

deceptivex

Reaction score
First Name
Theron
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm planning a rear shackle flip, and UP front a 52" conversion... Should end up about 4" lift, will move front axle forward about 2 inches, rear axle back 1.5 to 2 inches, and trim fenders to have clearance for 37" tires:mfr_omg:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner