shackle flip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
where can i find out more about shackle flip kits? read where someone said you could put 52" springs in the front and put the shackle flip kit on for about a 2" lift fairly cheap. very interested so i can fit 33's with no worrys of scrubbing.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
buddy you should be able to clear 33's now, we did on our 86.

As for shackle flip it's off road design. it's 2 new frame brackets that hold the shackle on the bottom and not the top like stock and give you around 4 inches of lift.

As for the front 52 inch swap, you have to remove the front hangers from each side, the very front ones by the body mount/with the body mount, flip and switch sides, that let's you do the 52 inch or (rear) springs in front. I think they give you are 4 inches though I forget. You may also have to move the rear shackle on the front springs to allow better movement, possibly just a long shackle.

ok here's one...

http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

shackle flip
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

diy4x also has shackle flips and new front mounts for 52's.

http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=24

Last edited:

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
:roflbow: man i'm going to tell you what. those were exactly the links that i needed. the write up on the k5 with 52's on the front is the one i thought i saw on this forum somewhere but i couldn't find it. i believe that is the way i'm going to lift the truck. it will be a while but i will let you know when i make the attempt.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I had a shackle flip from Poly Performance which was reasonably priced, but when I got my 6" lift it came with 56" rear springs and Off Road Design's shackle flip kit, which to me looks much more heavy duty with the gussets and heavier plate steel. They usually net 4" of lift unless you opt for ORD's longer rear shackles.

And as said before swapping rear 52" springs in the front will net 4" of lift, since stock springs are negatively arched and rear springs have positive arch. You should be able to run 35s pretty easily with 4" lift.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
:Insane:got to looking at my front shackles this evening. i guess the small body lift on the k5 made all the difference in the world as far as room to work is concerned. there is hardly enough room to get to the rivets to remove them, for the rear front. the front shackle would require sacrificing the tow hooks and air dam. don't really know what i want to do now that i've really looked at it.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Lift springs might be your best bet then for around $300. Dont forget the added expense of shocks (~$200) and steering correction (~$70).

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
i know what you mean. i was pretty pumped up about the flip kit and the 52s up front

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
man that's too much. I bought a rough country 4 inch kit shipped for $300 from jcwhitney, had the steering arm, shocks, boots, springs, blocks, and brake line relocation brackets all in it.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That might be the best thing to do, then pitch the blocks.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
$300 isn't that bad. i'll have to check into that. still thinking about the flip kit.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
never had a problem with the blocks, no wheel hop or anything, but it was a street truck not much off road.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mine's a standard trans, which always seems to be worse about wheel hop and sometimes makes you think the whole truck was gonna shake apart. 4.10s would have been better with my 33s instead of 3.73s IMO, might have eliminated the hop/shake.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
got to looking at the k5 pics again and realized he didn't have a body lift. he had cut his fenders back behind the tires. definately not doing that. may still see how hard it would be to get to the rivets on the rear hanger. does anyone know of any pics or writeups with 52's on the front without any cutting or body lifts?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
it's called a zero rate mty friend, bolts to the spring pack, is legal to use, lifts it an inch, and even allows you to move the axle 1 inch foward or back.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
$300 isn't that bad. i'll have to check into that. still thinking about the flip kit.

I bought a Rough Country 4" all spring lift with shocks and everything you need for installation for $585 shipped.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just waiting for some extra parts and my friends to help me with installation next month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus