Serpentine Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Its more than likey a 105A CS130 then, it and the CS144 use the same connector. A 96+ GMT400 should have had a CS130D as the 105A "small" alternator option, that one shares the plug with an AD230/244. You are right though, it is still an upgrade from a 60A or 90A 10/12si...

You also shouldnt have had to make a spacer for it to fit the bracket so like someone said above it isnt the exact alternator for that bracket setup but I dont see why it wont work for you anyhow.

It will do for now. Once I get this thing all done and running again, I'll run it for the winter, and then if I feel I need to I'll order a new cs144.

I did run into another hiccup today. I went to bolt up the AC/PS bracket and it turns out it doesn't want to play nice with the tall valve covers on my motor. Had to make some modifications to the bracket, and now I need to fabricate a spacer to lift the AC pump up about 1" in order to get it to fit. Either that, or go without a/c and I'd rather not do that. I work 12 of the next 14 days so I won't be able to work on the truck much. I will post again when I make more progress!

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I had to do the same thing for mine today. I have stock style valve covers to. I hope that the a/c compressor wont have any issues. Heres how much I trimmed out and a shot of the progress so far. The power steering pump pulley fought me all week. I havent made a to of progress....

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
To keep your factory power steering line remove the fittings off both pumps an put the stuff from your stock one in the new one. The first picture is what came out of/off the gmt400 pump an the second is what was in my stock one. I used everything from my stock pump as I always thought the gmt400's had too much assist.

TRAZOII

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
To keep your factory power steering line remove the fittings off both pumps an put the stuff from your stock one in the new one. The first picture is what came out of/off the gmt400 pump an the second is what was in my stock one. I used everything from my stock pump as I always thought the gmt400's had too much assist.

Broken pics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I can see them.

TRAZOII

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Not on my end. Maybe I need to go on my laptop.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
When I put the serp. setup on my vette the old ps pump bolted to the serp. bracket no issues. Just had to use the new pulley.

TRAZOII

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
When I put the serp. setup on my vette the old ps pump bolted to the serp. bracket no issues. Just had to use the new pulley.
What did you pull your setup off of?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size

The pump bolted up fine, the issue was the pulley didnt want to go back onto the shaft. I dont know if I messed up the end of the shaft pulling it off or if the powder coat process affected the pulley somehow. There wasnt any powder inside the bore on the pulley so I have no clue what the issue was. I sanded on it and the pump shaft and heated the pulley trying to get it to fit like it should. After the 4th time of heating it went on about a 1/4 of the way. I used the installer tool and my impact on it after that, I didnt want to do it that way but I was tired of messing with it. I have another pump and pulley on a parts truck I have so if I messed it up I have a spare.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I just want to clarify before I run to the boneyard, for brackets I can snatch everything off a 96-98 Vortec truck, then use a 95 water pump and pulley, correct?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I just want to clarify before I run to the boneyard, for brackets I can snatch everything off a 96-98 Vortec truck, then use a 95 water pump and pulley, correct?

Yes that's correct

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

hope so, that is my plan for my truck also

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Well you guys can see it all there installed on my engine lol. True I havent started it yet but I'm not the first one to ever do this, it will work just fine. The reasons for using a 95 and down model water pump were listed earlier in the thread, its the correct rotation for a serp setup and also correct for a older non-vortec block. The alternator is a bolt in popular upgrade for the 96+ trucks for a more reliable unit. I hope to have mine finished up this week as I have a club event to attend saturday. I'm down to the power steering return line, filling the coolant back up and wiring the alternator....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04