Factory A/C Conversion for '86

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looking to convert my heat only truck to full factory component A/C while I'm doing my 5.3 swap. Lines will be custom coming from the factory 5.3 compressor, but I want everything to be C10 factory style components from there onward.

That being said, since I have an '86 C10 I believe I need the parts from an '81 and up cab, correct?

Is anyone parting out an a/c '81+ truck? Looking for the full underhood evaporator/blower box as well as the full underdash interior assembly.

I'm not worried about cutting the firewall, I do know that the openings were different.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I could see it if you wanted to keep it all original, but since you're already swapping in an LS, why not get a Vintage Air setup? My K20 was a dealer swap setup - was shot when I got it, so I got the VA setup. I love the room under the hood without that outgrowth original setup in the way.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I started down the VA road actually as that was my first thought, but I don't want to drop about $2,000 on the VA system, and then still have to figure out how to adapt the compressor that comes with that system to the LS. Factory C10 components should be a lot more budget friendly, even with replacing all of the wearable parts (evaporator, condenser, drier, blower motor, etc)

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
A buddy of mine is actually planning to take out his VA and put the factory stuff back in his '79. He hates the VA, I actually know several people that do.

That said, this is quite a project. You're talking vacuum canisters and lines, the controller inside, rods, clips, the box/heater core, all the stuff underhood and wiring to boot. My buddy got it all out of a junkyard, that may be your best bet. Or buy a parts truck that's an AC truck.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The Vintage Air systems are very versatile. Yet, they are not "universal" either. Rather, the kits are what I would call "customized".. The VA individual "kit" components are put together after you place the order.. Among others, a couple of the questions they ask when you place the order are, "What engine do you have?", and "Which side of the engine do you want to mount the compressor?".. The "kit" they put together will include the proper brackets for your installation.. You can even order a kit that does not include the compressor.. They can even include switches to control electric radiator fans.

A word of caution.. The A-6 factory compressor does not lend itself very well to a cycling clutch system, and the R-4 factory compressor is a piece of shyet...

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I kept the system but got rid of the compressor and lines - used a different style compressor and lines for a cleaner look and more factory mount.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Another note, who's harness are you using? If it has a WOT AC cutoff switch, then you can use a factory style compress if desired. Or just in general, that's a good thing to have no matter the compressor. Just saying the factory one *can* live (as long as they will anyway) with an LS

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Factory 1986 would have used a R4 compressor. Junk. Youre already doing an LS swap. I would do something different than factory if you have a single cab vehicle.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A buddy of mine is actually planning to take out his VA and put the factory stuff back in his '79. He hates the VA, I actually know several people that do.

That said, this is quite a project. You're talking vacuum canisters and lines, the controller inside, rods, clips, the box/heater core, all the stuff underhood and wiring to boot. My buddy got it all out of a junkyard, that may be your best bet. Or buy a parts truck that's an AC truck.
What are his dislikes about the VA setup? I'm interested to know since so many people seem to go that route.

I do agree it's going to be pretty involved, but I'm building the truck for Power Tour in June and would really like to have the a/c working when I get the truck running. As it is I live in FL and would not want to drive a black truck without a/c. I did that when I was younger, don't want to do it again lol. Ideally yes I'd like to find a complete truck to rob everything off of. I've been scouring junkyard websites looking through their inventory to see if there is anything local. I did find an '85 with a/c in an LKQ lot, but LKQ has gotten so ridiculous with their pricing I hate going there. I used to get all kinds of stuff from them, now their used prices barely beat Rockauto for new stuff.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The Vintage Air systems are very versatile. Yet, they are not "universal" either. Rather, the kits are what I would call "customized".. The VA individual "kit" components are put together after you place the order.. Among others, a couple of the questions they ask when you place the order are, "What engine do you have?", and "Which side of the engine do you want to mount the compressor?".. The "kit" they put together will include the proper brackets for your installation.. You can even order a kit that does not include the compressor.. They can even include switches to control electric radiator fans.

A word of caution.. The A-6 factory compressor does not lend itself very well to a cycling clutch system, and the R-4 factory compressor is a piece of shyet...
If the VA kit was able to be customized to remove some of the stuff I don't need that might make the price easier to stomach. I also wouldn't be using the older C10 compressors, I'd be looking to use the donor compressor off of the LS in the factory mount, as well as the rest of the accessories. I'm also keeping the factory 5.3 pcm and wiring harness, and will look to have the pcm control the a/c system and electric fans too.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Another note, who's harness are you using? If it has a WOT AC cutoff switch, then you can use a factory style compress if desired. Or just in general, that's a good thing to have no matter the compressor. Just saying the factory one *can* live (as long as they will anyway) with an LS
I'm looking to use the compressor (and all accessories), pcm, wiring harness, and fuse block all from the donor '00 5.3 Sierra. Also looking to keep all a/c controls through that PCM as well, including control of electric fans.

crooney1189

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Factory 1986 would have used a R4 compressor. Junk. Youre already doing an LS swap. I would do something different than factory if you have a single cab vehicle.
I agree the older compressors are junk, I'd be looking to make the system work with the LS compressor

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I agree the older compressors are junk, I'd be looking to make the system work with the LS compressor
might require a different or modified valve off a modern cycling compressor, but i dont see why it couldnt?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Ummm. I have the surefit system and it's not universal. I ordered it online. The only "custom" thing was indexing the fittings on the hoses when crimping to avoid tension.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Darn! I recently threw my entire factory setup in the dumpster. Was tired of looking at it sitting in the garage thinking I would sell it some day. I remember the day a few summers back when I pulled every last bit of the 45 year old cracked, broken, brittle, slow, sticky OEM POS out......and the pure pleasure of the quite, cold, reliable Vintage Air....even here in Southern Arizona when it's 120 degrees. :worthy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia