Serpentine Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hiltijoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom delux
Engine Size

hiltijoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom delux
Engine Size
Ok Gents, so here's what I have so far. I'm about half way done with my conversion and ran into a couple small unexpected hiccups that were easily taken care of.

I made a trip out to a local junk yard where I picked up a water pump pulley, a used alternator from a 1997 suburban, not 100% sure which alternator it is, all I know is for now it will do, I also picked up a crank pulley and an idler pulley and tensioner that both were in waaay better shape than the ones that came on the mounting brackets I got for my conversion.

So, hiccup number one happened when bolted up my '95 water pump. I got it all bolted up and went to bolt on the pulley. I pulled the studs out of my old water pump and went to transfer them into the new water pump. Low and behold they would not thread in! Went to the bin of J-A-Pan and co. bolts (metric) and found some 8mm (actually measured 7.8 mm with the caliper) bolts and cut them to length. I then got the pulley all bolted up. In the pictures you will notice the red bolt heads holding the water pump pulley in place. I am doing a ford windstar e-fan conversion at the same time as I do this serpentine conversion so a clutch and fan are not needed right now. Also, I should add that I'm not sure what year the pulley came off of. I pulled it off a motor that was laying on the ground. It was a v8 SBC with the same serp setup as what came in the 88-95.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hiccup number 2. So next I went on ahead and began the process of bolting up the alternator bracket. While trying to do this I realized I was going to have to relocate my wiring harness that comes up the front of the block. What I did to remedy this was I pulled the fuel pump off and ran this harness up behind the fuel pump and over the valve cover for now. Once I am done I will get this buttoned up and routed a little better. In the picture below you can see that I have actually wrapped the harness with header wrap to protect it from the heat off the headers.

Now onto actually getting the bracket bolted up. Once it was in place, I went to drop the alternator in. My serpentine bracket setup is out of a 99 k1500. The alternator came out of a 97 suburban. The alternator has what appears to be the same plug as the CS144. If anyone can tell me exactly which alternator that is just by looking at it I'd be forever grateful. Now enter Hiccup number 3. The bolt holes on the alternator were not quite wide enough apart for it to be a direct drop in. I was able to drill the mounting holes in the ears of the alternator out some and make it work. I also had to fashion a spacer to put between the passenger side ear of the alternator and the alternator bracket. this spacer ended up being 1.399" and fit perfectly.

Ok, so thats about as far as I am so far. Not going to be able to work on it for a few days because I am a boat owner and I volunteer every year for an event called Warriors on the Water. We take members of the armed forces, both active duty and veterans, out for a day on the water to chase the elusive walter the walleye.

And before everyone jumps on me about the glass fuel filter, don't worry, it's coming off! I'm also probably going to replace my radiator hoses, and I'm definitely going to replace the hoses going to the heater core.

So far all of the pulleys that are installed are lining up perfectly. When I done with the project I will post up more pictures and the rest of my experience. Thanks for looking
I have a whole front bracket set up from a 93burb you are welcome to any of it

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Its GM Corporate Blue, thanks [emoji41]

Which is the correct color for a small block in 78 too

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
2nd year for it too.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
I have a whole front bracket set up from a 93burb you are welcome to any of it

Thanks man, but I am pretty much done with the serp part of my truck modification! All that's left now is to finish my e-fan conversion, run hoses for my a/c, and the electrical big 3 upgrade.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Well I think my power steering is finally happy. I took the pump apart again and cleaned everything and made sure there were no burrs that the flow valve could get stuck on. Gave the system a good flush and bled it out again and so far its working. I hope it stays that way for a long time now as I'm really tired of messing with it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm