(Seems Like) A Good Price for a Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I was looking at these, and the price, $1500, seemed good for the clearance and the weight rating. I actually thought these were much more expensive so I never even checked. Plus, the shipping showed as free and no tax. You can also finance it. I know it’s a two post lift, but for anything through most Class 3 trucks, this should be adequate, huh? That’s all I’d ever need. I’ve got a garage on the Gulf Coast that would be perfect for this, but there’s a big ole boat parked where I’d need to put it.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Elite-9KOH?fragment=/Elite-9KOH#/Elite-9KOH

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Damn, I want one. I always assumed it would be more too.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I was looking at these, and the price, $1500, seemed good for the clearance and the weight rating. I actually thought these were much more expensive so I never even checked. Plus, the shipping showed as free and no tax. You can also finance it. I know it’s a two post lift, but for anything through most Class 3 trucks, this should be adequate, huh? That’s all I’d ever need. I’ve got a garage on the Gulf Coast that would be perfect for this, but there’s a big ole boat parked where I’d need to put it.

Looks good but look at ones with a bigger foot print. They are way more stable. And always pour a footer with anchors attached to rebar. Dont just put hammer in anchors in existing floors. Thickness could me inconsistent.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Damn, I want one. I always assumed it would be more too.
They are cheap for a reason, the design has to support their claim once.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like a good lift for the average user. The arm design is good. Would not be a good lift for large trucks with extended or crew cabs, for both weight and arm spacing. If you ever need to lift a Ford Ranger, the front arms may not extend out far enough (they have narrow rails).

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And don't get an asymmetrical if your doing trucks. You want the 4 long legs.

Old sea story....
We had a tech that racked a F-350 long bed crew cab. One of those that have the F'd frame that rises up in the back. Things are cool until he takes off a front tire. It was enough to imbalance it, and the rear hitch ends up on the ground with the frame still on the 2 rear dogs of the lift, and the front end 10+ feet in the air. Luckily, the lift didn't bind, and we got it down. Note to self- Always take the rears off first, then put the fronts on first when going back together.... Lol

EDIT: that's what I get for typing so long. Bucket beat me to the post.... Lol

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And don't get an asymmetrical if your doing trucks. You want the 4 long legs.

Old sea story....
We had a tech that racked a F-350 long bed crew cab. One of those that have the F'd frame that rises up in the back. Things are cool until he takes off a front tire. It was enough to imbalance it, and the rear hitch ends up on the ground with the frame still on the 2 rear dogs of the lift, and the front end 10+ feet in the air. Luckily, the lift didn't bind, and we got it down. Note to self- Always take the rears off first, then put the fronts on first when going back together.... Lol

EDIT: that's what I get for typing so long. Bucket beat me to the post.... Lol
I had seen a newer Audi A8 fall off the lift. Back end on the floor, nose in the air. Owner of the car watching threw the big glass window......he got a new one. That day. All aluminum construction and the dealership wasn’t set up with the special chamber to fix it. All it would of taken to prevent was 2 seconds to set the arm locks.....

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had seen a newer Audi A8 fall off the lift. Back end on the floor, nose in the air. Owner of the car watching threw the big glass window......he got a new one. That day. All aluminum construction and the dealership wasn’t set up with the special chamber to fix it. All it would of taken to prevent was 2 seconds to set the arm locks.....

I bet you remembered to set the locks from then on.... Lol. Wow, how'd the customer take it at the time? Luckily ours wasn't there, and nothing was damaged.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I bet you remembered to set the locks from then on.... Lol. Wow, how'd the customer take it at the time? Luckily ours wasn't there, and nothing was damaged.
It wasn’t me. I had a below ground twin post and a single post. And my locks were tethered to the arms so they didn’t get lost. My lifts were right st that big glass window. The Audi fell on the other side of the shop. The main Porsche guy dropped it. Nothing happened to him though. Dealership politics main reason I left and it wasn’t fun anymore.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It wasn’t me. I had a below ground twin post and a single post. And my locks were tethered to the arms so they didn’t get lost. My lifts were right st that big glass window. The Audi fell on the other side of the shop. The main Porsche guy dropped it. Nothing happened to him though. Dealership politics main reason I left and it wasn’t fun anymore.
Yeah, I was just kidding about you doing it. We had a window like that and ended up painting it over. Customers watching the techs was never good. Seems like that's when the most stuff got broken.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, I was just kidding about you doing it. We had a window like that and ended up painting it over. Customers watching the techs was never good. Seems like that's when the most stuff got broken.
They remodeled and it’s gone now lol. I liked it, it didn’t feel Ike being in a cage and I had nothing to hide. And ummm VWs, Audi’s and Porsche..... female customers ..... summertime. Ahoy was a popular sound lol

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

I did all my work on two post lift's when I had my shop, they are more than adequate for me.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I randomly go down the rabbit hole of spec'ing a garage for myself and when I got to lifts I found the Greg SMith lifts. After a little research I found a few complaints of weakness and failures. Obviously its subjective, and people dont go on the internet to rave about a product as much as they do to complain but its worth noting that in my book, based of what I read, they are suspect.

In general you will find the lifts to be pretty cheap. The other stuff to price out is the concrete work, unless you have a rated slab already, and the electric work.

I decided against building a garage at my current house due to zoning and taxes. The garage-mahal will have to wait.

Aside from some suspension work, I think a two post will do you fine for most of what you're gonna do.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
In general you will find the lifts to be pretty cheap. The other stuff to price out is the concrete work, unless you have a rated slab already, and the electric work.

Agreed, I bought my first lift on Craigslist for 700 bucks lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy