Seeking softer ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have a 6in Tuff Country lift kit on my truck and its my number 1 hatered of this truck. Rides like crap, flex is crap, how the hell do they sell these kits?

Anyways im looking to see what my options are out there to maintain 6in lift but gain ride quality and flex. This isnt a mall crawler and is used for towing my car trailer and offroading. Ive read about doing the 52in 4in springs all the way around and a shackle conversion for the rear for a good ride and flex. Is there any other options out there other then 4link and coilovers. I plan to swap to 3/4 or 1ton axles at a later date as my truck also has what I believe are 3.08's and suck with my 35's... cruising around at 45-50 truck would rather stay in 3rd gear then 4th or lockup. altho at 55-60 im kicking out 1200-1400rpm locked up(yea speedo is misssing the needle) and dont want to overheat my trans. But thats a whole other post :flipthebird:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you mean Rough Country? Tuff Country is as soft as it gets, basically a stock ride quality. What shocks do you have?

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I believe there Rancho 5000's... I was told it was a Rough Country when i bought it, but after looking at it the paperwork was still taped to the front springs and says Tuff Country...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So, I guess this is your first old 4x4 Chevy then? They don't ride that great even when stock... but they weren't designed for a good ride after all. They were built for strength and durability.

You could try a pricey set of shocks on the front, like a Bilstein or something.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A longer front shackle may improve the ride just a bit too. ORD and DIY4X sell them for a good price.

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So, I guess this is your first old 4x4 Chevy then? They don't ride that great even when stock... but they weren't designed for a good ride after all. They were built for strength and durability.

You could try a pricey set of shocks on the front, like a Bilstein or something.

In essence yes it is, years ago I had a 89 K5 lifted 4in on 33's that was stolen after having it for a week. Ive also had 2 OBS being a 94 Z71 on 35's and a 94 2dr Hoe on 33's... Its just my only gripe about the truck and is any means for improvement, I have the skill to complete somthing drastic on the suspension to make the improvements its just the lack of money and knowing whats a common thing on these trucks to remidy being bouncy lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The tires and pressure can also make a difference. If you change a few small things (like shocks, shackles), it might add up to a difference you can live with.

I've never driven a truck with 52's up front, but I get the impression it's not the best thing for a truck that sees regular street duty. You really can't do 52's without doing crossover steering, which means ditching the sway bar. Couple the soft ride with no sway bar, and a tall ride height... it's not a good combo in an emergency swerve situation.

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Tires are 35x12.50 15's Pro Comp Mud terrains, Im going to try messing with the pressures tomorrow but need to get tires soon as these are a bit dry rotted on the sidewall... Which sucks bc they only have about 400 miles on them

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
if it's not the e-z ride springs they are gonna be rough. The ez ride springs or the soffride from skyjacker or superlift are the softest riding.

As for 52's why do you have to do crossover? It's a spring swap.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You could get 2" lift 52" rear springs and swap them in the front. It requires reworking your front perches a couple inches, and extended shackles. Stock 52s will give you 4" lift so 2" lift springs will yield 6". The key here is longer spring + less arch = better ride/flex.

For the rear get 2" lift 56" springs and a 4" shackle flip kit. Again, minimal arch + longer spring = softer ride/better flex. I have this ORD shackle flip http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm part number GU38010 on 56" springs and it rides like a Cadillac compared to the previous setup of Rugged Trail 4" front springs/rear block (which the rear block broke a spring on both sides).

One thing of note I don't have the 52" front setup so I can't speak from experience, just that I hear that's the better way to go. I haven't checked the pn of my front springs but I think they are Skyjacker Softride 6" fronts, which ride and flex great. For the rear I don't have the 2" lift 56s but I do have 56s with add-a-leafs to gain the extra 2". Hope this gives you a couple ideas/alternatives.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Crossover steering is a good upgrade for someone who pushes flex to the limit. The current setup for steering on our 4WD trucks, in certain trail twist conditions causes you to lose all steering in one direction. An example would be passenger side full droop, driver side full compression. You lose all ability to turn the wheel left because the steering wheel will be at full lock but the tires will be straight. Case in point, one of last summer's 4 wheeling trips when I broke an axle stub shaft and had to be winched out of a severely twisted up mud pit. I had no left steering and limited right steering. I have 6" lift and will be doing a low-dough-as-possible crossover steering setup once the D60 is in place.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The only lift kit I ever had was a skyjacker softride 6" lift on my '78 Burb and it rode real nice.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
As for 52's why do you have to do crossover? It's a spring swap.

C4 explained it pretty well, but to put it simply, flexy springs + stubby drag link = crazy bump steer.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that sucks and you can't use it on the street? meaning the springs being bouncy.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They should actually have a nice soft ride on the street, just don't expect to go fast through any corners.

I also have heard several times that the 52's (stock) when used on the front, will sag after a little while. But that probably is because those guys pulled a leaf or two to get more flex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512