Seeking softer ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I could see that happening, I wouldn't want a corner carver anyways but being able to do a cheap lift is awesome, swap in some 52's up front, then out back do some shackle flip or blocks and bam a cheap 4 inch lift. IF you can find or got a stock set of 52's.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In essence yes it is, years ago I had a 89 K5 lifted 4in on 33's that was stolen after having it for a week. Ive also had 2 OBS being a 94 Z71 on 35's and a 94 2dr Hoe on 33's... Its just my only gripe about the truck and is any means for improvement, I have the skill to complete somthing drastic on the suspension to make the improvements its just the lack of money and knowing whats a common thing on these trucks to remidy being bouncy lol.

These other older 4x4 trucks you had in the past are all Independant Front Suspension (IFS) A big differance than the Straight Axle Suspension (SAS).

Yes, by all mean, if you are running a 700r4 with those tall of tires and 3.08's, you need to get that axle swap done sooner than later. You are killing your 700r4 wth that strain. With that tire, I'd prefer 4.10's for certain. You're 700r4 will love you for it.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
The only lift kit I ever had was a skyjacker softride 6" lift on my '78 Burb and it rode real nice.

I run skyjacker softride on all my old trucks with rancho 9000's and I think the ride is great. I have had , superlift , trailmaster , pro comp , rancho's , and I pitched them all in the trash for skyjacker's. I have some buddies that have deaver leafs , custom made , thats what I will run on my next project , but they are the bank , but they are nice . They will make them for any ride you want and you can keep it soft in the back and run air bags or a overload top spring that touches when the back comes down 3 or 4 inches for carrying loads.

my4by2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab
Engine Size
6.0L LY6
Agreed - I am running a Skyjacker lift on my truck & pretty much always use them! Also running their Nitro shocks. My truck is a 1-ton so just deleting those HUGE leaf packs for the Skyjacker ones is gonna make a HUGE difference!!!!

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well I stand very corrected it is not a Tuff country lift. I double checked and it is a Skyjacker kit... Dam my ignorance lol

master_tech

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
SBC 327
My 86 w/ rancho 4' kit w/ softride springs and rancho 5000 shocks rides like a Cadillac.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Well I stand very corrected it is not a Tuff country lift. I double checked and it is a Skyjacker kit... Dam my ignorance lol

You may want to check the shackle end of your front springs. If you have stock shackles you could be having contact between the frame and the eye of the spring severely limiting movement. I doubt it but it wouldn't hurt to check. I think there's a difference in spring length between 73-78 and 79-87. If you have the wrong ones (too long or too short) that could hurt the ride quality too. I'm not 100% sure on the year break but it's worth checking into. Also you could try removing the hardware and bushings and lube them with lithium grease. If they're dry they could be seized up preventing free movement. I have a set of ORD greasable eyebolts all the way around on mine, helps keep things moving freely. You may also want to check the cut/taper on your springs (width and thickness taper). If they are really square cut with no 2-way taper they will ride rougher. If they are indeed Skyjacker Softrides they should have the 2-way taper. I would check the shocks too. If they've been over-extended (like mine) the first 2-3" of travel is thrashed and has no dampening at all. Take the bottom loose and try to push up and down on the shock. If it isn't really hard to move for the first couple inches, they need replaced.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Square bodies all use the same length front springs, well, lift springs anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if the factory springs differed in length slightly. Sometime in the 80's though, the shackles increased in length a little.

angusdevil

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
454/sm465/205
Any of you guys ever think about upgrading to something more than "out of the box" suspensions and whitebody shocks?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You talking 4-link/coils and remote reservoir shocks?? Thought about it and it just equals more expense to me. This project has enough expense as it is! :crazy:

angusdevil

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
454/sm465/205
Nope, don't have to go through and 4 link (albeit very cool) but just having them make some progressive rate leafs. Ya, it'd be more expensive but the payoff would be WELL worth it. As for shocks, some Bilstein or Fox 2.0's would be great and only cost about 1k. The trucks already ride like wagon's, for a couple grand, they'd ride like caddy's and take quite a bit more abuse offroad if ya wanted.

Now for a street only truck, you're absolutely right, not worth it at all.... but whats the fun of having a truck pound pavement all the time :D

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mine's no street princess and I abuse the **** out of it with just out-of-the-box lift parts and whitebody shocks.
only cost about 1k
LOL no way I would put that much in shocks on my beater. It rides actually pretty good the way it is.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
J@meson, post a pic of your front shackle, and its angle in reation to the frame.

angusdevil

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
454/sm465/205
Mine's no street princess and I abuse the **** out of it with just out-of-the-box lift parts and whitebody shocks.

LOL no way I would put that much in shocks on my beater. It rides actually pretty good the way it is.

Haha, we have our own style out west. It's not about if you can take on the obsticle but more of how fast you can do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64