Seeking softer ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Haha, we have our own style out west. It's not about if you can take on the obsticle but more of how fast you can do it.

Are ya "off roading" on sand or what? I'm thinking that off-roading on rocks and heavy terrain speed is not always the name of the game :shrug:

angusdevil

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
454/sm465/205
Through the desert, baja style. That can be anything from rock, sand, dirt, whatever..... hit it as hard and as fast as you can. It's very common out here to see a $2k vehicle have over $10k in suspension and another $5k in cage and armor.

We don't like to sit around, tool around the farm and shine our ****. :p

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
Dont do shackel flip if your towing with the truck often. Ask me how I learned that lesson.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Dont do shackel flip if your towing with the truck often. Ask me how I learned that lesson.

Really? Does it make it sway alot towing? Glad you mentioned this.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have never had any issues with my shackle flip.. Towed a few car trailers and utility trailers no problem! Not to mention the rear rides 100% better. Its the way to go :imo: screw blocks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have never had any issues with my shackle flip.. Towed a few car trailers and utility trailers no problem! Not to mention the rear rides 100% better. Its the way to go :imo: screw blocks.

:think:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think Camo is referring to stock stamped steel shackles vs aftermarket heavy duty units. On a heavy duty truck towing a very heavy load I could see it. I think ORD has pics on their site of stamped steel shackles folding from lateral forces on the trail, the same could apply for hauling a trailer around a curve with some speed.

EDIT: here's the page showing the folded stamped shackle...
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdREARshackles.htm

Last edited:

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think Camo is referring to stock stamped steel shackles vs aftermarket heavy duty units. On a heavy duty truck towing a very heavy load I could see it. I think ORD has pics on their site of stamped steel shackles folding from lateral forces on the trail, the same could apply for hauling a trailer around a curve with some speed.

Would be the only thing I can think of.. but still that's no reason not to run one, just get new shackles..

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those guys USE their rigs though.. haha and that is just a stock shackle.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
I guess I should clarify, I am not talking about 4k lbs on a traielr when I referr to towing. I had a gooseneck with a camper otn eh front and my trail rig on the back. Did the shackel flip with ORD shackels and the trailer wagged like a dog. Tried a 36 foot bumper pull and it was no better. Went back to standard rear shackles and found I had actually destroyed a rear spring in and folded the ord shackle in he process. Shackle flip is great for lift, But bad for towing. For a tow rig I try to keep em low. No draggin parts low, But not lifted if it will stand real tow duty often.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess I should clarify, I am not talking about 4k lbs on a traielr when I referr to towing. I had a gooseneck with a camper otn eh front and my trail rig on the back. Did the shackel flip with ORD shackels and the trailer wagged like a dog. Tried a 36 foot bumper pull and it was no better. Went back to standard rear shackles and found I had actually destroyed a rear spring int he process. Shackle flip is great for lift, But bad for towing. For a tow rig I try to keep em low. No draggin parts low, But not lifted if it will stand real tow duty often.

Ahhh makes sense.. in order to do any heavy towing with a lift probably should link the rear end.. or just not lift em at all and keep em low like you said

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I haven't read the whole thread, but I've heard Fat Chicks offer a much softer ride. :shrug:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64