Rust covertors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
What are you guys using to neutralize rust till you can get to repair it? I had a can of Mar hyde 1 step converter that was bad ass but it is now $15-$30 per rattle can. I have watched videos on electrolysis but that's hard to do on a door or bed side.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
we use ospho at work and I bought some for home as well, had decent result with rustolium as well.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've seen this used on a couple of automotive shows on TV. About $30-40 for a quart. Can brush it on or put it in a spray bottle.

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I have used Rust Check with great results.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm using the summit rust transformer about 20 a quart goes along ways, same thing spray or brush on I even used a rag. It turns it black as it says it will as far as long term not sure. Everyone says it won't work none of these type do, that's what they say.

Also most of the por15 and the similar products cannot be used over this transformer or reformer stuff, so be aware if you are wanting to do so later.

everyone told me to just sand it down, wire wheel as best I could if I couldn't sand blast it off, then epoxy prime it. Everyone kept saying the self etch primer doesn't work either.

Naval jelly does basically the same kinda changes rust to black or takes care of it for a bit. That or the rust disolver stuff autozone carrys it's safe for dumping out in the yard or down the drains. I think it's called evaporust. it removes rust but not sure about treating or keeping it treated for awhile.

I've been trying these things out and searching for answers on the trans am project as I had wire brushed and sanded the control arms, and wondered what I could put on them to last as far as paint wise without buying single stage auto paint and such. I had the summit stuff from the s10 so I used it on this as well, it's almost all gone so the next few pieces I have to figure out what I want to do. I do have some por15 but again people said not to use it on body panels and then work over it or prime/paint. I have no idea why, they say you can wetsand then spary or whatever over it, and they even have their own tie coat primer. I had bad surface rust and pits on the TA hood I got and thought of doing it in por15, then never having to worry about it coming back, and after that I kinda wondered since everyone seems to say no to it.

So I just wire brushed the hood, well one of those rust/paint stripping discs on a grinder like a big sponge looking deal from 3m, hit it with the summit transformer, then used self etch spray cans right over it. I'll know more long term when I get back to working on the hood.

A good bit back when I had the 85 monte carlo ss the paint on the trunk was spider cracked, I had stripped it to bare steel and then it had rust or black crap in the bare steel, I did nothing but buy some self etch primer at the body shop supply place in spray can for like $8 a can, then cheap laquer primer awhile later, and then single stage it never rusted back thruogh

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Just to mention, as most real men don't read the instructions...
converters needs to be washed off with water after treating the metal, before the prime.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Just to mention, as most real men don't read the instructions...
converters needs to be washed off with water after treating the metal, before the prime.

mine doesn't say that, but I know the naval jelly crap does.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Have used naval jelly and Ospho with good results. Should be able to get the Ospho and either Ace hardware or True value. Not sure who else carries it.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The mar hyde I used to have went on clear, turn purple then black but only did that on rust, bare metal didnt change when I sprayed it. Then I primed over it to help protect it. I dont like stuff that goes on with a color as I believe its just primer and not doing anything other than sealing the rust under the coat. I tried some stuff from Harbor freight and it went on clear also and seemed to work but they have stopped carrying it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ve been using this phosphoric acid stuff from Home Depot. It’s only $15 a gallon. Turns rust quick. You still have to follow up with some sort of paint within 48 hours.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
is it green? think I have some of that at home. Do you rinse it off before paint/primer?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I think Navy Jelly is rust remover/dissolver... not a converter.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
covertor m (plural covertori)
1. bedspread, coverlet

Are you serious? Stop messin' with my head!

Try using Evapo-Rust. I get great results.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
When I can't sand it clean or sand blast it, I use phosphoric acid as well. It's the active ingredient in most miracle rust cures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704