Rotor seized - wheel bearing failure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

born2Run83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC - C1500
Engine Size
5.3L LM7
Had driver side wheel bearing failure while driving yesterday. Got so hot it shattered the bearing. Upon attempting to remove the rotor, I found the it to only be loose, without actually sliding off the spline as it should. I’ve used rubber mallets, pried on it, and no luck.

Any suggestions on removing this rotor?? TIA!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 58

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I would guess that the bearing has welded itself to the spindle. Only thing I know to do is a cold chisel to the bearing and try to split it. My boat trailer did that years ago and I had to break it into pcs to get it off.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wouldn't spend much time trying to remove it. The spindle and rotor are likely used up. Only part that may be good is the inner bearing and it probably shouldn't be reused. Buy a used spindle it should include the backing plate.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Wouldn't spend much time trying to remove it. The spindle and rotor are likely used up. Only part that may be good is the inner bearing and it probably shouldn't be reused. Buy a used spindle it should include the backing plate.
this, the cooking of the bearing will have likely been too much for your rotor. depending on if it was contributed by the brakes at all or how hot, how long, you may want to bleed fluid , check caliper out too. Fluid if it gets cooked isnt very good at braking

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello