Roar in cab after dual exhaust installation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Recently had dual exhaust installed and have roar in cab at certain speeds/rpm's. Truck had single exhaust w/flowmaster 40 when purchased in 2015. Now have 2 flowmaster 40's and have the roar. I have not had very much exhaust done in many years and wonder if this is to be expected?
Muffler shop said installing x pipe before mufflers would take some of it out. Had x pipe installed yesterday and that did not seem to take much of the roar out if any.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Recently had dual exhaust installed and have roar in cab at certain speeds/rpm's. Truck had single exhaust w/flowmaster 40 when purchased in 2015. Now have 2 flowmaster 40's and have the roar. I have not had very much exhaust done in many years and wonder if this is to be expected?
Muffler shop said installing x pipe before mufflers would take some of it out. Had x pipe installed yesterday and that did not seem to take much of the roar out if any.

is the exhaust dumping under the truck?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

Pretty typical to drone.

But it depends where it exits as to how bad it is.

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yes, had them dumped just before rear bumper. Maybe 12 to 18".

thats why the exhaust is echoing under the truck... have tail pipes put on.

Reactions: WFO

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size

Thought about tail pipes but was not aware that it would make quite that much difference.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It depends what series of Flowmaster you buy. I usually get the Delta flow versions as they minimize drone (more internal baffles). Also, the 3 chamber are much quieter than their 2 chamber versions. I know on my Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi, the recommended muffler drove me nuts with drone at 1800 RPM. It was a 2 chamber. Once I switched to the 3 it got rid of the drone.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I recently installed 2.5" dual exhaust on my 85. Headman headers, flow master 40 series exiting straight out the back. Nice, deep sound but actually fairly quite otherwise. Last week I finished rebuilding my doors and I covered the inside skins with dynamat and foil backed jute insulation. That made a HUGE difference in sound level inside the cab. I did it more for the stereo and A/C but was surprised how quite it was. Something to consider.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Same here, 2.5” dual, hpipe, Borla mufflers...no drone. A good amount of insulation in my cab though.

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies. I am not very experienced with the many exhaust systems and setups. I will try putting tail pipes on and see how that works.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L

Yep.

K

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

No tail pipes. Go deaf, make all your passengers deaf, and make passer bys deaf.

Join the dark side. LOL

4 whopping foot of straights.

DRONE THAT.

You must be registered for see images attach

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
No tail pipes. Go deaf, make all your passengers deaf, and make passer bys deaf.

Join the dark side. LOL

4 whopping foot of straights.

DRONE THAT.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you think its loud now, up the compression and change the cam, made my truck a ton louder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76