RETRO-Mod: Jeep intermediate steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Are the JIP shafts the same on both ends?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You have to massage the bolt groove in the truck shaft. I put a longer bolt in then original and put a lock nut on it after it was tight.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well never mind then. Guess I need o otry to get this mod done this weekend tired of feeling like I'm captain of a ship when i drive my truck.
Have you checked the steering box?, it could have slop in it??.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Even if the steering box was the main problem, you should see improvement. You can adjust the bolt on the steering box, but people generally say that's a bandaid fix on an old box and will cause it to finish wearing out faster. How aggressive a driver you or the PO(s) are/were has a lot to do with it. I've replaced a totally trashed Saginaw box on a GMT400 that had about 13X,000 miles on it, which the truck had been totally abused, and on the other hand, my Caprice has 254,000 miles on it, and it steers great with the factory box. It was granny owned most of its life. Looking at more median numbers, I went ahead and replaced my Jimmy's at 183,000 miles because it was showing its age, and my mom's '02 Burb is doing the same at 211,000 miles.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
YUP, even a new reman steering box might not be adjusted proper.

When you say adjusted proper, do you mean the top adjustment or full blown adjustments? I need to check this on my reman. I still have 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock play while driving down the interstate. I know there's a write up, just thought I'd ask. Hell the 11 to 1 might be normal lol.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Holy **** those fumes are bad, I've been around some stuff that is bad and this takes the cake. I recommend you only do this with a fan blowing the fumes away from you, I was doing this with the wind blowing them away then it changed directions and I got a face full of it. IT makes your eyes burn, it takes your breath away and leaves you convulsing with a hot part and a torch in your hand.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Holy **** those fumes are bad, I've been around some stuff that is bad and this takes the cake. I recommend you only do this with a fan blowing the fumes away from you, I was doing this with the wind blowing them away then it changed directions and I got a face full of it. IT makes your eyes burn, it takes your breath away and leaves you convulsing with a hot part and a torch in your hand.
That's why I post don't breathe that **** when ever I post about them shafts it's wicked for sure.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Jeez. I remember it smelling stinky but not noxious. Did you heat it up for a long time? I just did it very quickly where it could be compressed and installed quickly, and it cooled off right after. I actually had to reheat one of them again, but I did it that way to keep all the plastic in there.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
That's why I post don't breathe that **** when ever I post about them shafts it's wicked for sure.

Thats why I was using the wind to keep the fumes away from me and the that traitorous bitch turned and blew it back in my face.

Jeez. I remember it smelling stinky but not noxious. Did you heat it up for a long time? I just did it very quickly where it could be compressed and installed quickly, and it cooled off right after. I actually had to reheat one of them again, but I did it that way to keep all the plastic in there.

Mine was also rusty so I had to heat it up alot to get to let go.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thats why I was using the wind to keep the fumes away from me and the that traitorous bitch turned and blew it back in my face.

Mine was also rusty so I had to heat it up alot to get to let go.
Once that stench gets in your nose and mouth it just don't let go either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTGAP