Remanufactured Engine ID Nightmare!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Greetings!

A friend of mine has an '84 C10 that he bought from his uncle. Long story short, his uncle swapped in a 350 in the early 2000s but doesn't have the paperwork or anything from that time. We found the block casting number and it's 3970010... which could be anything... But we did find this! (See attached picture) It says "Remanufactured Engine, Production Number 827028, Remanufacturer Code 1" This is on the passenger side of the engine below the exhaust manifold in front of the starter (as shown).
The plate behind the alternator has been milled clean so no help there. :whymewhyme: Anybody know what the heck this means? What kind of HP or figures this engine has? Would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150724_220650.jpg
    20150724_220650.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 114

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That really means nothing unless you know the re manufactuer who built it. I have something similar on my remanned crate 454 that I bought too. Could have been a big company like Jasper who rebuilt it. Mine has a similar sticker with a 7-10 digit production # on the left side under the exhaust manifold with an Overheat snitch plug in the freeze plug that voids the warranty if it's popped. So far, it's never overheated since being rebuilt.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay,

So assuming it was Jasper who rebuilt it - although it could have been anybody - would we just go to their website and try to look it up? Or call them? Certainly there is an online database with this kind of info in it.

Also I don't think his has a snitch plug. I'll have to look...

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm curious why you are trying to find this information honestly. Its most likely a run of the mill 350 and if it was rebuilt then it was probably bored over .30 which is fairly common.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm curious why you are trying to find this information honestly. Its most likely a run of the mill 350 and if it was rebuilt then it was probably bored over .30 which is fairly common.

Because we're curious. Would like to know exactly what it is. Isn't that reason enough?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Because we're curious. Would like to know exactly what it is. Isn't that reason enough?

All I'm trying to get at is you have a run of the mill sbc 350 block. There really isn't much more to know. You could check the numbers on the heads or pull the heads entirely and measure the bore if you want more data.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay, I get what you're saying. Could you please tell me where the casting numbers would be on the heads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Okay, I get what you're saying. Could you please tell me where the casting numbers would be on the heads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

The 3970010 block is a good one! Has more nickel content then other blocks. It was produced from 1968-1979. It was available in 2 & 4 bolt mains. It came in car, truck and Corvette. This block is said to have very straight main journals because of the higher nickel content. It came factory in 185/370 HP configurations.

I just so happen to have one stuffed away in the corner of my garage for a future build.

The head casting # can be found by removing the valve cover.

Here is a link to the info once you have your head casting #

http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/sbcid2.htm

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree it's going to be the average run of the mil rebuild. The # is more for warranty purposes than anything and if it's out of warranty by now which likely is, the remanufactuer won't give 2 ***** about giving up any info. Chances are it's Silvolite .030 or .040 pistons, with .010 or .020 mains and/or rods with stock remanned heads.

As far as the 3970010 myth and high nickel, I don't buy that ******** myself. Especially for as long as that block was produced. A 68-72 block I might buy into some of it, but nickel content was cut down year after year. 3970010 is just that, a CASTING #. The # to the mold, not a thing to do with the melecular structure of the block build. I wish I had known so many people drank the Kool-Aid and bought into that ********. You know how many 3970010 blocks I've scrapped? And they were virigins. Most common 350 Cast # built. I could be a millionaire selling HIGH NICKEL blocks by now.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I agree it's going to be the average run of the mil rebuild. The # is more for warranty purposes than anything and if it's out of warranty by now which likely is, the remanufactuer won't give 2 ***** about giving up any info. Chances are it's Silvolite .030 or .040 pistons, with .010 or .020 mains and/or rods with stock remanned heads.

As far as the 3970010 myth and high nickel, I don't buy that ******** myself. Especially for as long as that block was produced. A 68-72 block I might buy into some of it, but nickel content was cut down year after year. 3970010 is just that, a CASTING #. The # to the mold, not a thing to do with the melecular structure of the block build. I wish I had known so many people drank the Kool-Aid and bought into that ********. You know how many 3970010 blocks I've scrapped? And they were virigins. Most common 350 Cast # built. I could be a millionaire selling HIGH NICKEL blocks by now.[/QUOTE]

Guys HR is right on the money with these statements. Hindsight is 2020 HR. These old blocks are getting harder to find now so people are getting bigger money for them. I think you could make some money picking these up and reselling them. Guys like the old stuff.

It is the same way with the 400 engines. They were not common back in the day around here. The stock car crowd started stroking them and they just dried up.

The point is that we are getting older and we have a lot of younger guys on this forum that need advice. I am also guilty of thinking along the same lines as HR. " It is a 350. What is the big deal?". Well it is a big deal if all you have ever had has been a 4 cylinder or a 305.:)

As far as the OP's question. The 350 that were standard on these trucks back in the day were rated 185 hp to 195hp IIRC back in the late 70's. Since this is a remanned engine I would assume a low hp rating and then be surprised if it has a slight cam in it.

BTW- HR and guys you will like this story. A guy I worked with had his FFL license, gun dealer license, back in the 70's through the 90's and he had a similar story.

He said the when the government transitioned to the Beretta 9mm, the Colt 45 pistols were sold off by the dump truck load for very little cash. He regretted not buying a dump truck load of worn out Colt 1911's and keeping them to sell at a later date. He told me he could have got them for a ridiculous cheap amount. I think he said $50 each due to the massive amount that they had for sale.

He told me he would have retired 10 years early if he had bought a dump truck load. He said he thought about it pretty serious and decided not to do it. Back then a new Colt 1911 was selling around $300 to $500. The used ones were cheaper. Yeah I wish I would have bought a couple myself.:Insane:

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Good point Don!

Mine is a 73' block IIRC.

My point behind the 370HP Corvette model was that the block is not a waste unless of course its broken! Aside from pistons, the heads is what makes power. So clean up the block and throw some flat tops, a cam and vortecs on it and wow! Not a bad little engine. That's my plan anyways.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Considering I have a 3970010 block that means its worth more than my truck! :p

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Alright glad to hear some of the history behind these blocks. He has an "RV" cam in it and stock heads as far as I know. I don't think he's ever had it on a dyno. So the block will accept L31 heads? The vortecs? If so there's a set local on Craigslist that have just been rebuilt for like $400 that might be a good investment.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It should do alright as it is? No?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Good point Don!

Mine is a 73' block IIRC.

My point behind the 370HP Corvette model was that the block is not a waste unless of course its broken! Aside from pistons, the heads is what makes power. So clean up the block and throw some flat tops, a cam and vortecs on it and wow! Not a bad little engine. That's my plan anyways.

That sounds like an excellent plan too. That is exactly what I would do also. I have never bought a crate engine. I probably never will either. If I need to replace my engine, I have two spare blocks and I will just rebuild them if I need them.:) That is just the way I roll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06