Rebuilding.. TH350 or TH400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PFenstermaker

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 sbc
Hey everyone.
Grew up on GM muscle cars, then got into the diesel world for awhile.
I picked up my '75 C10 a little bit ago on a trade, it ran great for about a year, and then spun a rod bearing.
Hoping to finish a modest engine rebuild in 6 months or so as money comes in, but I think I'm going to tackle the trans first while the truck's apart, it's had some slip in it.
I'm hoping to get 350-400 lb.ft. out of the motor when it's out back together. The truck is my weekend driver/work truck, to keep the hard miles off of my 01 Tahoe. I probabaly just drive it 65% of the time, but also do tow 1000-4000 lbs. on a fairly regular basis, short trips in no hurry.
The motor will be built to have a little fun, but not at the expense of it's usability.

I guess first, I've just assumed a 2x4 '75 C10 had the TH350 in it. How to confirm?
And second, do I rebuild a TH350 right, or should I switch to the TH400 or something else? On a pretty limited budget, and not too worried about fuel economy or speed for this truck.

Thanks!
- Paul

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey everyone.
Grew up on GM muscle cars, then got into the diesel world for awhile.
I picked up my '75 C10 a little bit ago on a trade, it ran great for about a year, and then spun a rod bearing.
Hoping to finish a modest engine rebuild in 6 months or so as money comes in, but I think I'm going to tackle the trans first while the truck's apart, it's had some slip in it.
I'm hoping to get 350-400 lb.ft. out of the motor when it's out back together. The truck is my weekend driver/work truck, to keep the hard miles off of my 01 Tahoe. I probabaly just drive it 65% of the time, but also do tow 1000-4000 lbs. on a fairly regular basis, short trips in no hurry.
The motor will be built to have a little fun, but not at the expense of it's usability.

I guess first, I've just assumed a 2x4 '75 C10 had the TH350 in it. How to confirm?
And second, do I rebuild a TH350 right, or should I switch to the TH400 or something else? On a pretty limited budget, and not too worried about fuel economy or speed for this truck.

Thanks!
- Paul

To check and see what transmission you got from the factory, I'd cite the RPO sticker in your glovebox if you still have it. If not, there are sometimes ways to procure a build sheet on your truck. Sometimes not. If you're just asking which transmission you have now, I'd just look up TH350 and TH400 pans on Google and see which is yours. Sorry, I just wasn't completely sure if you were asking what you were supposed to have in it or what you already had in it. Either option works well for what your needs and expectations are. I will say that a TH350 would have to be built to match the 400, but if it were me, I'd just keep whichever transmission is in your truck and rebuild it/build it up as needed to keep your crossmember location, driveshaft length, output spline number, etc. all the same. That'll be a big money saver right there. Also, if you want someone to rebuild it for you, you'd save a good little chunk of dough by doing the R&R yourself if that's something that you had the time to tackle.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Easiest way is crawl under the truck and look at the pan..

You must be registered for see images

PFenstermaker

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 sbc
TH350 confirmed

Awesome, thank you guys.
It is a TH350. So. Rebuild that? Or fond a TH400 to rebuild if I'll be towing pretty often?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Keep it simple and save time and money, just do a heavy duty rebuild to suit and you'll be just fine, I've done a ton of towing with a TH350 with no issues..

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
keep the TH350 pretty strong transmissions. my '87 has one in that used to tow a fifth wheel camper from Missouri through the hills of Tennessee down to Florida with no problems twice a year. granted now that I have the truck it doesn't see much towing anymore but would put it up against anything.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Add a shift kit ($50) and and auxiliary transmission cooler, ($50) - (as big is possible) to extend transmission life and aide in worry-free towing and fun.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Last edited:

PFenstermaker

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 sbc
Ok, TH350 rebuild it is.
I appreciate it, guys.

PFenstermaker

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 sbc
Torque Converter?

Hey guys, next step..
From my understanding, I can do a torque converter for either a TH350 or TH400 to pair with my TH350, depending on which flywheel I have. How to figure that out? Any other issues or reasons not to go with the TH400 one? Seems like a no brainer to go with the heavuer duty option..

Thanks
- Paul

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Count the teeth 153 small pattern 168 large if 168 check for 6 holes with 3 holes out further the the other 3 dual pattern. As stated in last thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704