Raw Fuel Coming out the Exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
So I got raw gas coming out my exhaust. Quick background, its my 77 k10 with an 86 305, carter carb and hei ignition I know basically nothing about the motor, I bought the truck, parked it and only started it a few times to move it around the property.
It will fire right up but with rough idle . plugs are a black wet. (only idled it for less then a minute.
If it was a stuck float, would it even idle?
or Could it be a weak coil? Is there way to narrow the issue down before I buy parts. Thanks

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
So I got raw gas coming out my exhaust. Quick background, its my 77 k10 with an 86 305, carter carb and hei ignition I know basically nothing about the motor, I bought the truck, parked it and only started it a few times to move it around the property.
It will fire right up but with rough idle . plugs are a black wet. (only idled it for less then a minute.
If it was a stuck float, would it even idle?
or Could it be a weak coil? Is there way to narrow the issue down before I buy parts. Thanks

If you just start it and move it and then let it sit, your plugs could be carboned over and fouling out. I would take it for a drive and romp on her a bit to blow out the carbon before i did anything else. Next i would do plugs if it didn't come to life, only use factory type plugs No platimums or you will cause yourself more problems. Another thing is to rev up the motor 2-3 k rpm and then close the choke or cover the carb intake , this redneck tune up will force fuel through all the fuel passages and unclog them, this works on a motor thats been sitting sometimes and it's quick and free.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude I thought having raw gas come out of the tailpipe meant you had a broken cylinder head.

Are the plugs black on both sides?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
OK I was looking at the spark color and it was yellow at best, testing with grounding a new plug, so I thought I'd slap a new coil in.....Still yellow. The wires are fairly new with less then an hour on them but they were probably the cheapest I could get at the time just so I could fire this thing up. could it be the wires are just that bad?
Any recommendations for new wires?

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
what carb do u have ,have u checked your float settings , is your choke fully open ?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
what carb do u have ,have u checked your float settings , is your choke fully open ?

Quadrajet 4 bbl, choke is open, and I haven't opened up the carb yet, was trying to fix the ignition issues at the moment.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a distributor once that was shorting out and not firing at times and that car would flood and then the distributor would go back to firing and it exploded the muffler from the raw gas.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I can confirm that a quadrajet will idle and even drive with a stuck float. In my case the float was full of gunk due to it being dry rotten. It sat 12 years with no breather. It wasn't stuck per say but would not rise under its own buoyancy so stuck just the same. I drove it 20 miles home the day I bought it and several times to diagnose it after that.

This is a test procedure I found and used during my diagnostics recently. I found it perusing the interwebs.

Make sure the 12 volts doesn't drop out when cranking..If it does you may need a bigger hei wire.
The Module can be tested at a parts store
Flip the cap, Measure between the tach and BAT terminals using a voltmeter on ohm. It should read less than an ohm, but more than 000
then measure the secondary, set your voltmeter to 10k or higher and put the probes between the BATT and the carbon pickup for the COIL(the button)..it should read between 6000 and 30,000 OHMS..Outside of that range toss the coil and get a new one.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Start the truck run it a couple of minutes turn it off hold the throttle open then wire it open look into the manifold for raw fuel, bounce on the bumper,keep watching, come back and look in again in a little while.Qjet welch plugs are known for leaking, and if there's dirt in the needle and seat or a stuck float fuel will spill over from the bowl vents into the manifold

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone, I'm going to rebuild a carb and change out the ICM and go from there.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone, I'm going to rebuild a carb and change out the ICM and go from there.

Was going to say check the rotor, have had them burn through. With the truck sitting, rotor as well as the cap could be corroded??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner