Rare????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
You must be registered for see images attach
I just got a 79 Silverado Big 10 with a 454 and turbo 400 trans. 9800 miles

Judging by the VIN your truck looks like it when down the line some time just before I start at Flint Assembly in June of 1979.

Depending on how interested you are, you can contact the GM Heritage Center archives and for $50 they can provide the original invoice for your specific truck, which would include RPO content (as shown on the SPID) and also original pricing, selling dealership and build timing.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1

Now that I think about it if the truck was ordered by a specific GM employee their name should show on the invoice (mine did).

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
This brings up an interesting thing i want to point out that i notice, every big ten i see thats two tone such as his nice find the roof matches the second color in the middle... my big ten does not, was that some sort of option? Does anyone know? I have not seen another big ten like mine where the roof is not the same as the center color.

There are various two tone options:

ZY1 = solid paint, then
ZY2, ZY3, ZY4 and ZY5, which are various combinations of lower, middle and roof two tones.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1978-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

K

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
ZY1 is solid paint (all one color), as shown on the SPID. 73L is the color (Cardinal Red).

XRR1 Carmine is the interior color and trim level.

No. Solid means single color.

All vehicles are "ordered" before they are built, either by a dealer for stock or by a dealer for specific customer option content. It would be impossible to determine which this was at this point (although the content certainly indicates somebody had this truck in mind). The order number goes through Chevrolet Central Office and is directed to the assembly plant (based on geographic area to some degree but also directed based on option content) and then becomes the interim tracking number until the PVI (Primary Vehicle Identifier), CSN (carrier sequence number) and General Assembly sequence number are assigned. At that point the GA sequence number is the primary means of identification through the assembly process.

Not sure if I should be flattered or offended ;)

No - 73L is the exterior color. L = "lower", or primary. Two tones use a U = "upper", or secondary.

K

Did the order number thing change in the 80's? I read recently on a 3rd gen F-body site that you could tell be the order number if it was a dealer stock order or a customer order. It had something to do with the prefix I think... I forget already. Or was that something that could vary by plant and model?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
THAT IS MY FAVORITE COLOR!!!!!!!

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Did the order number thing change in the 80's? I read recently on a 3rd gen F-body site that you could tell be the order number if it was a dealer stock order or a customer order. It had something to do with the prefix I think... I forget already. Or was that something that could vary by plant and model?

Possibly. I can ask one of my vintage Pontiac buddies to see if he knows.

I've never noticed any "intelligence" in the coding of the dealer order number. They always look like some random configuration of six characters to me. It wouldn't vary by plant or model since all of the orders would come through Chevy Central Office initially and then are apportioned out to the plants from there.

I have noticed they can be sequential when we order a block of trucks (like for engineering or marketing) but even then there doesn't seem to be any coding involved. The orders come in to the plant in dealer order sequence and then get shuffled when the PVI is assigned (based on introduction into the assembly sequence) and then there is another opportunity to shuffle the PVI's after cab build and again after paint before going into GA, based on workload leveling or part availability/shortages. Once they drop into GA they are locked in, barring something catastrophic.

K

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Welcome, nice truck, low miles!

I have seen several pop up for sale in the past couple year's I've been paying attention, none as low mileage as yours though.

It does seem that the Big 10 survives a little better than some of the other "special" option vehicles.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I moved this to a more appropriate subforum. Not sure if Tech Discussion is really the right place either but it's better than the introduction area :) I was looking for more of a general area that wasn't the lounge but maybe @HotRodPC has a better spot for this thread :hmm:

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Nice truck man.if its original or not i like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad