Purchasing an Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I believe I'd just have to say *** the po-lice and run with it!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I think that's one of those laws that took on a life of it's own through word of mouth. I looked through Virginia's motor vehicle laws and could only find reference to load width limits: (The only reference to height limits I could find was 12 feet.)

§ 46.2-1111. Extension of loads beyond line of fender or body.

No vehicle shall carry any load extending more than six inches beyond the line of the fender or body. Nor shall such load exceed a total outside width as prescribed by §§ 46.2-1105 through 46.2-1109.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, watercraft carried on vehicles may extend more than six inches beyond the line of the fender or body of such vehicle if the total width of watercraft and the carrier upon which it is carried does not exceed seventy-six inches.

(Code 1950, § 46-330; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-334; 1960, c. 280; 1979, c. 526; 1989, c. 727.)

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So what. You can lay the compressor down in the crate or box, then you take the bottom off the crate or box, and let the compressor slide out the bottom and you tip it off the truck and stand it up at the same time, then slide the box off over the top. You can do that yourself, and NOT break any over the cab laws. If the compressor has oil in it already, just lay the top part up on a stack of carboard to keep the oil toward the bottom of the crankcase instead of being able to flow to the top of the cylinders. It can be done dawg. Just gotta be smarter than the box it came in, and :grd:

BTW, it will be top heavy as a ****, so just use some caution and have your wife help steady the box as you tip it down out of the truck. She don't need to be strong, just be in the way of the compressor to steady the compressor and keep it from rolling her way as it comes out. It's easy. I did mine myself, and even moved it several times myself by laying it down propped up at the motor end.

What box? They dont come in boxes. They come already out of the cause there display models for the store at tractor supply and bolted on pallets. That kobalt is bolted to a pallet also.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I think that's one of those laws that took on a life of it's own through word of mouth. I looked through Virginia's motor vehicle laws and could only find reference to load width limits: (The only reference to height limits I could find was 12 feet.)

§ 46.2-1111. Extension of loads beyond line of fender or body.

No vehicle shall carry any load extending more than six inches beyond the line of the fender or body. Nor shall such load exceed a total outside width as prescribed by §§ 46.2-1105 through 46.2-1109.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, watercraft carried on vehicles may extend more than six inches beyond the line of the fender or body of such vehicle if the total width of watercraft and the carrier upon which it is carried does not exceed seventy-six inches.

(Code 1950, § 46-330; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-334; 1960, c. 280; 1979, c. 526; 1989, c. 727.)

I think it might be where the law is on blocking your rear view mirror. Against law to do that too.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I call ********. You're allowed to haul a load in your truck for God's sake. What about trucks with work toppers that block the rear view? I mean if you're scared to haul it just man up and admit it lol I understand, $75 is cheaper than not securing your load right, it flopping out of the back of the truck not only destroying the compressor but who knows what else havock/insuing death.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
As long as you have two side mirrors you should be good to go, otherwise nobody could have slide-in campers.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I call ********. You're allowed to haul a load in your truck for God's sake. What about trucks with work toppers that block the rear view? I mean if you're scared to haul it just man up and admit it lol I understand, $75 is cheaper than not securing your load right, it flopping out of the back of the truck not only destroying the compressor but who knows what else havock/insuing death.

I'm not scared to haul it. Just dont any help to unload it here at the house.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
pfft. I unloaded mine solo and I'm missing a spinal disc. Man-up Dave!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I guess I could haul myself by laying it down in the truck after all I would still have to pay electrician to install a 230v plug for it anyways. So it would be sitting upright more than 24hours anyway.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
last year i bought a 80 gal compress from lowes it works great for what i to .all the air i need .

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
last year i bought a 80 gal compress from lowes it works great for what i to .all the air i need .

Does the owner manuals say where it came from or who made it for them?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What box? They dont come in boxes. They come already out of the cause there display models for the store at tractor supply and bolted on pallets. That kobalt is bolted to a pallet also.

That's even better yet. It won't roll if bolted to a pallet. Drain the oil out of the thing. Lay it down in the bed the of the truck. While it's laying down unbolt the pallet and let it slide out of the truck. Best yet, I left mine on the pallet for years until I anchored it to the floor at my last house with pieces of thick rubber to cut down the noise and keep someone from being able to run off with it in a quick hurry.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
That's even better yet. It won't roll if bolted to a pallet. Drain the oil out of the thing. Lay it down in the bed the of the truck. While it's laying down unbolt the pallet and let it slide out of the truck. Best yet, I left mine on the pallet for years until I anchored it to the floor at my last house with pieces of thick rubber to cut down the noise and keep someone from being able to run off with it in a quick hurry.

They dont come filled oil do they? My 10 gallon brute didnt come filled with oil that I bought from walmart.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Some do some don't. If they are unboxed and set out for display, the store might put the oil that comes with them in it. It actually should be shipped dry and come with a bottle of oil you pour in yourself.

BTW Mr. Amsoil, you can get synthetic oil from Amsoil for Air Compressors too can't you???
I wouldn't use it synthetic right away. Depending on how much you use your compressor, which will be very little in comparison, I'd wait a year, then put the synthetic in it. Same process as car engine cylinders, you want the rings to seat before you put anything very slick in the crankcase.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Some do some don't. If they are unboxed and set out for display, the store might put the oil that comes with them in it. It actually should be shipped dry and come with a bottle of oil you pour in yourself.

BTW Mr. Amsoil, you can get synthetic oil from Amsoil for Air Compressors too can't you???
I wouldn't use it synthetic right away. Depending on how much you use your compressor, which will be very little in comparison, I'd wait a year, then put the synthetic in it. Same process as car engine cylinders, you want the rings to seat before you put anything very slick in the crankcase.

Yes, Amsoil offers synthetic air compressor oil. ISO-46 SAE 20 or ISO-100 SAE 40. Not compatible with glycol- or silicone based compressor oils. Compatible with PAO-, ester-, and petroleum-based compressor oils.

Also Amsoil does offer a break in oil for new engines or rebuilt engines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85