Purchasing an Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
HRPC EDIT: Let's use this thread for tips on purchasing Air Compressors. Anything anyone can add about what types, brands or sizes of Air Compressors are good for certain projects, or you know of a great deal, post it up in this Thread.

Get used to that. Everytime they hurt themselves, its our fault.

She took it in good humor, thankfully. She's pretty good about that.

On the plus side, I got 3 of the leaf springs stripped and painted. It takes much longer than I anticipated. I really need to buy a blasting cabinet and a big air compressor. Thinking of picking up a 60 gallon Ingersol-Rand compressor. I really wanted a 60 gallon Quincy, since they are 100% made in in the USA, but they are just too expensive and out of my price range. Northern Tool has the 3HP 60 gallon IR for around $650 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

On the plus side, I got 3 of the leaf springs stripped and painted. It takes much longer than I anticipated. I really need to buy a blasting cabinet and a big air compressor. Thinking of picking up a 60 gallon Ingersol-Rand compressor. I really wanted a 60 gallon Quincy, since they are 100% made in in the USA, but they are just too expensive and out of my price range. Northern Tool has the 3HP 60 gallon IR for around $650 or so.

3hp 60 gal for $650 seems steep. Have they gone up again? I've had an Ingersol Rand 5hp 60 gallon twin cylinder for over 20 years and it works great. Of course it doesn't get used on a daily commercial basis but I do keep clean oil in it. I'd take and oil unit over an oiless anyday. My 5hp in mine is a 5hp Spl. Which means Special. Nothing special about it. Its actually a 3hp with the RPM's turned up and then called a 5HP Spl, so maybe the unit you're looking at is the same type just they are being more honest now.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Keep an eye on craigslist for a while, last year about this time I found 2 big ass commercial units from a body shop that needed work for 200 bucks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I normally don't like buying used compressors. Now if it were the big commercial units they are designed to run and run and run forever, but many times the problem with those is they are 2 or 3 phase and household current won't run those sometimes without a major uprade to your home panel service.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
3hp 60 gal for $650 seems steep. Have they gone up again? I've had an Ingersol Rand 5hp 60 gallon twin cylinder for over 20 years and it works great. Of course it doesn't get used on a daily commercial basis but I do keep clean oil in it. I'd take and oil unit over an oiless anyday. My 5hp in mine is a 5hp Spl. Which means Special. Nothing special about it. Its actually a 3hp with the RPM's turned up and then called a 5HP Spl, so maybe the unit you're looking at is the same type just they are being more honest now.

Looking at Northern Tool again, it's actually $620, which isn't much of a difference, I suppose.

I really really want that Quincy. The IR tops out at 135 PSI and 10.3 CFM at 90PSI...the Quincy tops out at 175PSI and has 15.2 CFM at said 175PSI, which is nuts. Unfortunately, the Quincy is $1400.

There is a 5HP IR for $920 that has 18 CFM at 90 PSI, but still only maxes at 135 PSI. In my experience, that last 40 PSI of pressure can make a lot of difference with an impact gun. The Quincy is also a two-stage compressor.

Here are the links to all 3 compressors:

IR 3 HP:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_158284_158284

IR 5 HP:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_211720_211720

Quincy 5 HP:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I bought a little 3hp 10 gallon I think it is from HF a few years back. I only bought it cuz it was small, 110 power, and was an OIL unit. Most small compressors now days are oilless and don't last for ****. Especially Cambell Hausfield brand. I have repaird 2 of those from my bro and step bro. Junk units IMO. I also have an Ingersol Rand Oilless similar to my bros CH units but have had no issues whatsoever and it runs constantly. Its my main compressor now. I use the little Oil HF unit outside cuz its portable and runs off a 100ft extension cord. I actually have a total of 4 compressors and knock on wood, they are all good. One I dont' like. Its a damn little 2 gallon 1HP and it grunts and works its ass off. Pretty much let my son use that one to air up his bike tires, and I also use it in the house to run a blow gun when I am cleaning cracks and crevices, but I can carry it around like a purse.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looking at Northern Tool again, it's actually $620, which isn't much of a difference, I suppose.

I really really want that Quincy. The IR tops out at 135 PSI and 10.3 CFM at 90PSI...the Quincy tops out at 175PSI and has 15.2 CFM at said 175PSI, which is nuts. Unfortunately, the Quincy is $1400.

There is a 5HP IR for $920 that has 18 CFM at 90 PSI, but still only maxes at 135 PSI. In my experience, that last 40 PSI of pressure can make a lot of difference with an impact gun. The Quincy is also a two-stage compressor.

Here are the links to all 3 compressors:

IR 3 HP:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_158284_158284

IR 5 HP:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_211720_211720

Quincy 5 HP:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

Those seem pricey. I think I'd take a look at the Kobalt at Lowes. 3.7 HP 60 gallon, 155PSI and higher CFM@90PSI. Also a cast iron twin cylinder for $500. Save some bucks and get a good unit with more power. You always want to purchase a compressor based on CFM @ 90PSI cuz that's where you want to regulate for power tools. Not enough CFM @ 90PSI, your tools won't work well.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I bought a little 3hp 10 gallon I think it is from HF a few years back. I only bought it cuz it was small, 110 power, and was an OIL unit. Most small compressors now days are oilless and don't last for ****. Especially Cambell Hausfield brand. I have repaird 2 of those from my bro and step bro. Junk units IMO. I also have an Ingersol Rand Oilless similar to my bros CH units but have had no issues whatsoever and it runs constantly. Its my main compressor now. I use the little Oil HF unit outside cuz its portable and runs off a 100ft extension cord. I actually have a total of 4 compressors and knock on wood, they are all good. One I dont' like. Its a damn little 2 gallon 1HP and it grunts and works its ass off. Pretty much let my son use that one to air up his bike tires, and I also use it in the house to run a blow gun when I am cleaning cracks and crevices, but I can carry it around like a purse.
I was in Sears the other day and the copressors were on sale, and reasonable.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Tractor Supply has the 60gal 3hp Ingersol Rand for $599.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Picked this up for $50 at a garage sale... :D

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Picked this up for $50 at a garage sale... :D

attachment.php

That's a crematory for Midgets. Of course you can dismember full size grown ups and burn them too.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Those seem pricey. I think I'd take a look at the Kobalt at Lowes. 3.7 HP 60 gallon, 155PSI and higher CFM@90PSI. Also a cast iron twin cylinder for $500. Save some bucks and get a good unit with more power. You always want to purchase a compressor based on CFM @ 90PSI cuz that's where you want to regulate for power tools. Not enough CFM @ 90PSI, your tools won't work well.

It is pretty pricey, but I am still tending to lean towards the Quincy. I like the high air output at higher pressures. For something big like an air compressor, I don't mind forking out the extra dough, because I know buying quality will likely get me a compressor that lasts longer than I do. The pump life is also rated at 50,000 hours, compared to 8,000 for the IR, and the warranty is good too.

From my reading, the IR has a 1 year warranty, or 2 if you use the startup kit. The Quincy on the other hand, has a 2 year warranty, and 5 if you use the startup kit. Plus, the Quincy is all USA built. If I recall correctly, the IR has a pump made in India, while the rest is US built.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
What is a start up kit?

I believe it's just an air filter and some synthetic oil, but it includes a sticker that "proves" you used it. I guess the synthetic oil is what they are relying on to extend the warranty, basically.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus