PTV Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Whats up?????

Well I finally got a shortblock for the truck but the heads are 87-95 so the angle or pattern or somethin is different for my intake. As I was pullin the heads off the locked motor i noticed on a few cylinders the edges of the valves looked new and on the same pistons it looked as if they were barely coming in contact.......

When the motor locked it didnt have a missfire or anything like that and the valves look ok. No chips missing or even indentions. Looks as if they barely touched....

The cam I was runnin was a Comp XE274. Has anybody else had PTV clearance issues with this cam before?

Thanks.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Well I wanted to double check and it looks as if a couple exhaust valves are bent on both heads. Upon my scientific diagnostic procedure (water in combustion chamber) a trickle of water came out of the exhaust valves. Looks like I will be headed to the speed shop to trade this Edelbrock intake for a used Professional Products 87-95 intake. It seems to be the easier route to go at the moment. Just need it running for work.

Still wondering has anybody else had these issues with the XE274 before?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I looked up the specs, .490 lift shouldn't be that bad, I guess it just depends on whether or not you were running stock valve springs?

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
They were stock. Ill know next time. I talked to Comp and they said stock springs would be ok for that cam. I was searching on google and came across a thread where somebody else had those issues but I always heard UP TO .490 lift is OK but I guess you should always check. I was also using stock rockers.

The lifters didnt even have a wear pattern when I pulled them today. Thats how short of a time period the truck ran.....

This engine is stayin stock. Ill be lookin into gettin a good block and rotating assembly with heads and everything else later on. For now I have other issues.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you were driving the truck and didnt have problems, then one day maybe was on the redline I would say you floated the valves on stock springs. If not I would have to ask what else is in the motor? Flattop pistons? With or without 4 valve reliefs? What casting number on the heads? Was the heads/block decked?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello