Issues with seatbelts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'll try aiming for that particular part, maybe that's what stuck. I have also tried using blunt force on retractors to un-seize the ratchet and it didn't help ;)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I haven’t seen anyone add 3 point belts for center seats, but there are 4 point harnesses available.
4 points are not a better choice than a 3 point in a street car. If your going to the trouble to add a belt option,not offered try to replicate a factory setup from a similiar vehicle. The manufacturer did the research to develop and test these. A 4 point you are more likely to submarine because your body can't fold forward like a 2 or 3 point. A 4 or 5 point will hold you upright in a rollover so in a car with out a rollbar your neck will need to be able to support the vehicle. People always think,oh that will never happen. I and a lot of my friends have lived through a lot of crazy stuff,but 1 died in a roll over accident in a parking lot. How do you have a roll over in a parking lot? A lot of stupid sh!t all has to happen at the same time,but sometimes a lot of stupid sh!t does happen at the same time making the impossible,possible.

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Recently passenger side belt up front won't retract unless you play the game of sorry. I to believe it's because my wife pulls it out too fast. But it was working just fine and now it isn't. I would like to find the problem and solve it if I cab myself. I guess I just need to dive into it lol

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I fixed my rear seatbelts. It is possible to pull the plastic cover off the retractors up and then to put it back in place, helped by the fact that the bottom part of the cover does not want to stay closed anyway.

Left lap belt issue was caused by the belt folding over itself and not wanting to retract, while the retractor was in the "retract only" mode.

Right shoulder belt retractor got rusty and froze in place. It took about an hour of spraying it with WD-40, hitting with hammer, rotating with screwdriver to get it to retract under the power of a spring and some more jerking back and forth to get it to spin smoothly.

I've analyzed how do they work and took some pictures for reference.
There are two independent retractors per side, each with it's own spring. The spring is tiny compared to a Honda CRX retractor that I've once disassembled, possibly the reason why do they retract with such little force. I guess they split it into two smaller spools to make the retractor as narrow as possible, to make it fit between the door and a seat.

The plastic cover is important as it acts as a guide for seatbelts, misaligned cover may jam seatbelt as it can allow the belt to wind on the spool ratchet teeth. There is no other guide for belts.

These little hanging weights swing when subjected to G-forces and as they move they lift the ratchet plate towards teeth on spools. They work independent from each other.

Lap belt comes with a device that makes the belt go one way only: It activates when the spool is almost empty and holds the ratchet plate up, touching the spools. That means that you can only retract the belt, while retracting you can hear it ratcheting as the plate bounces on the teeth. Once the belt is almost retracted it unlocks and the plate goes down and belt returns to normal operation. I believe it is meant to hold a child seat in that mode.

There is a mystery device between spools, with some plastic gears inside. I have no clue what's it for, seems to connect both spools, but I can't see how do they interact. It seems independent from a one-way-ratchet thing. One is pink, the other light green. Any idea what's that part for?

Speaking of colors each plastic part is different color, I have black, beige, yellow and blue spring covers, light green and pink "things", black and beige "one way ratchets", etc. Any idea if the colors mean anything?

Attachments

• 2023-09-05 21.20.46.jpg
    2023-09-05 21.20.46.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2023-09-05 21.21.05.jpg
    2023-09-05 21.21.05.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 2023-09-05 21.21.13.jpg
    2023-09-05 21.21.13.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2023-09-05 21.25.23.jpg
    2023-09-05 21.25.23.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 2023-09-05 22.19.04.jpg
    2023-09-05 22.19.04.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 30

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I fixed my rear seatbelts. It is possible to pull the plastic cover off the retractors up and then to put it back in place, helped by the fact that the bottom part of the cover does not want to stay closed anyway.

Left lap belt issue was caused by the belt folding over itself and not wanting to retract, while the retractor was in the "retract only" mode.

Right shoulder belt retractor got rusty and froze in place. It took about an hour of spraying it with WD-40, hitting with hammer, rotating with screwdriver to get it to retract under the power of a spring and some more jerking back and forth to get it to spin smoothly.

I've analyzed how do they work and took some pictures for reference.
There are two independent retractors per side, each with it's own spring. The spring is tiny compared to a Honda CRX retractor that I've once disassembled, possibly the reason why do they retract with such little force. I guess they split it into two smaller spools to make the retractor as narrow as possible, to make it fit between the door and a seat.

The plastic cover is important as it acts as a guide for seatbelts, misaligned cover may jam seatbelt as it can allow the belt to wind on the spool ratchet teeth. There is no other guide for belts.

These little hanging weights swing when subjected to G-forces and as they move they lift the ratchet plate towards teeth on spools. They work independent from each other.

Lap belt comes with a device that makes the belt go one way only: It activates when the spool is almost empty and holds the ratchet plate up, touching the spools. That means that you can only retract the belt, while retracting you can hear it ratcheting as the plate bounces on the teeth. Once the belt is almost retracted it unlocks and the plate goes down and belt returns to normal operation. I believe it is meant to hold a child seat in that mode.

There is a mystery device between spools, with some plastic gears inside. I have no clue what's it for, seems to connect both spools, but I can't see how do they interact. It seems independent from a one-way-ratchet thing. One is pink, the other light green. Any idea what's that part for?

Speaking of colors each plastic part is different color, I have black, beige, yellow and blue spring covers, light green and pink "things", black and beige "one way ratchets", etc. Any idea if the colors mean anything?
Those colored things might be the automatic locking devices, for locking the belt when they sense hard or sudden braking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005