Priming oil until it comes out of rockers 5.7 1992 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
For whatever reason, I have found that rotating the crank 180 degrees at a time will eventually get oil to all the rocker arms. Maybe it isn't the rotation, but simply the fact that I keep on turning the pump. ???

As the lifters rise and fall, they cover and uncover an oil port, so when the port is blocked by the lifter, it won't receive oil pressure, hence the rockers stay dry.
As long as there is oil pressure in the system, and the engine is being turned to uncover those ports, oil will eventually fill the lifters, go through the pushrods, and wet the rockers.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Excellent!!!

Glad to hear you got the priming problem fixed.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pressure prime is awesome I've had mine since about 1990 mine was off the snap on truck. Seriously you can put whatever oil pressure you want to the engine without.Turning it over etc. Look up accusump oil accumulators. It works on the same principle air pressure over oil pushed through a hose and into the block through the oil pressure sender port.You put 50lbs of air in it you have 50lbs of oil pressure coming out of it.Its also good for bringing dead fuel pump cars in put a little gas in it pressure it up hook it to the fuel rail and drive the car to your stall. I wouldn't buy another on though. Too simple of design I could make one now using an old shop air bubble.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Damn... I just pour the zinc on the cam and rockers, fill engine with oil and fire it up..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So put a new cam and lifters in yesterday I adjusted all the lifters and put oil in the engine and went to prime until oil comes out of the rockers and only got oil to come put of the drivers side. I was using a cheaper priming tool that I got from. Summit for like $20. I'm thinking the tool is the problem cause this pic shows they are different from a distributor. Have any of you ever ran into this?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
You're going to put that engine on strike. I wouldn't start either if you put a Ford Blue dizzy cap on me.

geolee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You're going to put that engine on strike. I wouldn't start either if you put a Ford Blue dizzy cap on me.
No worries that was just a pic i seen online. I have a accel with upgraded ignition module and coil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm