Power windows problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
THe ground should attch on the drivers side under the dash just above the trim panel. There is a ground buss there from the factory that the windows, locks, relays and dash go to.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Woo Hoo, I think I got enough info now, I need to get to my dads, rob those door harnesses off the donor truck and get my windows working on the K1500.

Thanks Robert, Sick and Gaurdian. That's teamwork there. :waytogo: Hell, I"ll even thank Clancy for throwing up the thread. I already know where the hanress runs and plugs under the dash on both sides so this'll be easy now.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Good luck.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This is what I decipher from this convoluted setup: You have a pink wire that supplies 12v at every window switch. The master switch (Drivers side) controls ground to the whole PW system. The other window switches have a rest setting of allowing the ground and 12v wire from the master switch to pass thru to the PW motor. This way when you up/down the other windows from the master it will reverse the 12v and ground and just go thru the switch located on the door that you are trying to up/down. If that door switch is bad it will not allow you to up/down that window but the others will work. The window switch at the door when used just reverses the 12v and ground to the motor. I know clear as mud. This is the reason I am getting warm and cozy with PW/lock wiring.

I got this 74 and the previous owner was in the process of adding PW/locks. The wiring was hacked and the passenger door did not work and for the driver’s door to work you had to hold the hot wire from the fuse box to the door harness, real fun. I found a good door harnesses and the under dash harness for the system. I ran a temp wire setup from the master switch to the other door so I could get it to work. Of course both switches were bad and had to be replaced. I’m off the week of July 4th and plan to remove both doors , re-pin the hinges and paint the doors. Then address the power lock setup.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You have later model door panels too.

Why the hell does everyone else have gray interior and I got friggin Blue and Tan in all mine? :shitsweak: I want gray !!! :baby: I'd have gray in all of mine if I had my way.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You have later model door panels too.

Why the hell does everyone else have gray interior and I got friggin Blue and Tan in all mine? :shitsweak: I want gray !!! :baby: I'd have gray in all of mine if I had my way.

Yep the doors are from an 83. The sad part was the original doors would have been less trouble to put the PW/lock stuff in than changing the whole door.

I got the original doors from the person who he sold them to but by time I got them the paint on them was less than stellar.

The only gray parts I have is those panels. My other trucks are blue, red and tan.

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 3+3 Long Box Dually
Engine Size
6.5 Turbo Diesel/SM465/D70
Well, issue was that ground bar under the dash. Cleaned up the connections on it and its golden.!
Thanks for the help fellas! :gmfs:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool, Hopefully that is all that is wrong with mine after I get the harnesses replaced that the kid hacked up trying to diagnose it.

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 3+3 Long Box Dually
Engine Size
6.5 Turbo Diesel/SM465/D70
The bus bar had a lot of corrosion on it, pulling the terminals off and scratching it up with some emery is a cheap fix! :woot:

LowOnGas

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's threads like this that make me want to investigate my own window problems..well kinda window/radio problem. When I put the windows down the radio cuts off. I have to roll them part of the way back up and then the radio comes back on..beating on the doors and the dash doesn't help..tried that already..interesting information here in this thread! Thanks!..it gives me ideas

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's threads like this that make me want to investigate my own window problems..well kinda window/radio problem. When I put the windows down the radio cuts off. I have to roll them part of the way back up and then the radio comes back on..beating on the doors and the dash doesn't help..tried that already..interesting information here in this thread! Thanks!..it gives me ideas

NIce to see you back Low !!! We wondered what happened.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

I never heard that one before, lol!!! :roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Do you lose reception, or does it turn off? Could be the wiring harness is hitting the glass and causing a problem.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do you lose reception, or does it turn off? Could be the wiring harness is hitting the glass and causing a problem.

It just dawned on me he said "roll" the windows down. So there wouldn't be any wires in the door if he had manual windows and locks? Unless he just termed it wrong.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
LOL I still say "roll the window down" with power windows! I dont say power the window down or press the down button for your window??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew