how fast is your power window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingman50

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Installed this harness on my ‘81. Maybe not as fast as a new truck but very close. LMC Truck. This kit hooks to the battery. The windows in are trucks are powered from the switch.

Heavy-Duty Power Window Harness​

You must be registered for see images attach

Ch

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
In 2024, folks throw the transmission into reverse as soon as the car starts, pulling out of their driveway texting, steering, latching their seatbelt, tearing open a bag of chips, popping a bottle of Moutain Dew and fiddling with the HVAC. With their other hand they are working the power window, locks and remote mirrors.
In 1987, I just sat there and marveled at the magic of the power window as it went up and down, and up and down.
Brand new, a squarebody power window was maybe 2/3 the speed of the modern vehicle. Some people have worked with the grounds, regulators, motors, wiring sizes and relays to speed them up a bit, but times were slower back then too.
The problem was that in the old days, electricity was slower - like the speed of light had to be amended about 18 years ago too.

I thought everybody knew.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
If I would have had my choice, I would have chosen manual even though my power windows work well. I say keep them.
I wonder if I can find a conversion to manual for the rear window.

New guides, new rubber, new motor, heavier wire to the window motor --- all helped, but I have to keep the engine running to be able to just push the button to make it go up.

If I can coerce my wife or whomever is in the shotgun seat, to go out and grab the glass and "help" pull the glass up --- it may still take a few minutes.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Haha Yeah it's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't care for the red on red, that's too much. But white on red is gorgeous.
Off topic but what's your exterior color choice if the interior is dark blue.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
But yes, from all the threads I've read it's nurelic or bust:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

I'm contemplating converting manual to auto up front and leaving cranks in the back when i do the interior remodel.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Off topic but what's your exterior color choice if the interior is dark blue.
One of the blues. I don't much care for a white truck with blue interior, red only in that instance. But blue interior looks best with a blue exterior IMHO. Black with a blue interior is also strange to me

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I wonder if I can find a conversion to manual for the rear window.

New guides, new rubber, new motor, heavier wire to the window motor --- all helped, but I have to keep the engine running to be able to just push the button to make it go up.

If I can coerce my wife or whomever is in the shotgun seat, to go out and grab the glass and "help" pull the glass up --- it may still take a few minutes.
Your issue is likely with the switch. Use the switch to power a relay with the relay connecting power to the motor.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
My passenger side is not working and drivers side needs assistance up or down on the 82. But the new used doors I got to replace them have power windows. I have two new motors I got before I found the doors. So I'll have to see how they act when I put the doors on. Maybe add relays while they're off.

The 84 has cranks but the passenger side is too hard to crank down. So still gotta look into that one too.

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
My two cents !!!
Like everyone else, my 85 windows (Doors & Endgate) ran slow compared to todays window speed.

In my resotraton, I relpaced the motors, regulators, felt, in the doors and in the endgate, the regulator, drive cable, and felt and left the motor aloone.

They were even slower after the replacement and i used silicon lube in the felt tracks and also a special Honda Window Lube grease I found out about on the internet searches.

I decided to go with the relays after much consideration.

I looked at the LMC Kits as well as building my own.

I found the K5 Squared Full Power Relay Kits that contained both the doors and the Endgate.

I went with this package due to cost for the package versus purchasing the doors then deciding to add the engate.
Full Power $125.00
Doors only $100.00
Endgate only $95.00

Installation is super easy once you see enough videos and follow the instructions. The only issue I really had was running the Power Line from the battery down the frame to the endgate utiliizing the existing wiring loom. It was tight and a challange, but I was able to get it done.

I am fully satisfied in the results of the added relays.

I did the doors one weekend as I was working on the interior and had not put the door panels back on at that time.

I installed the endgate relay the next weekend and it took a couple of hours only because of wanting to use the wiring loom and not just zip tying the power lead to the exisitng loom and wiring.

To sum it up .. I am extremely happy with the end results...
Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005