Please help!!! Clutch/Tranny Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello all. I have a Sm465, NP 205 into a 350.
I replaced clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing and put back together. Now, I bled the hydrolic system and no air. There are 2 issues
1. There seems no resistance on pedal when I push in. Why?
2. I put gear shift back in and it's stuck in neutral. Gear shift will not move. Even with bad clutch I should find a gear. I can't.

I'm a newbie and did have a knowledgeable mechanic change clutch and everything at my house. But for these 2 new issues... I have no clue. Any ideas??

Please Please help

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
The only thing I can think is that the trans wasn't aligned properly? That's a bit weird now it won't go into gear even if vehicle is off. Did your installer test things out before leaving? Technically it's on them. ...

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, he didn't test anything. Really it's on me cause it was a friend doing it, who is also a mechanic, for free. Just won't go into any gear and clutch pedal can be pushed in with about quarter pound of pressure

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Welcome to GM's wonderful hydraulic clutch. You will need someone to verify how much travel you have at the slave cylinder when the pedal is pushed.
I have found that the hydraulic clutch is difficult to bleed. If bled correctly, you will feel some resistance.
As for not finding a gear. Sounds like there is a second issue with the shifter mechanism. You should be able to move the shifter and cause the transmission
to change from gear to gear with the engine off.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Then for one, the fork is not aligned on the slave cylinder... or the throw out bearing is not seated right... for the lack of pedal.

2nd not to be able to get into gears, either trans isn't sitting right or cover is hitting... just weird.

Yes, it's kinda on your friend. What sense is "helping" ya if things aren't done right?

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
And welcome to the forum! Lol :)

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll check. I just hate to have to pull everything back down. :-(.

Also, when I pushed in clutch for first time after it was installed, there was pressure and then all of a sudden, I heard a clunk and now I am having the problems as stated in 1st message. I just thought of that and didn't know if any of you had that before as well.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Is the disc in correctly?

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hope so... again... newbie here. Haha.

Is there a way to check with pulling transfer case, tranny and everything back down?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I hope so... again... newbie here. Haha.

Is there a way to check with pulling transfer case, tranny and everything back down?
Something is definitely wrong I'd for sure be pulling it apart. And when you do post pics it will be easier for us to help you.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Something is definitely wrong I'd for sure be pulling it apart. And when you do post pics it will be easier for us to help you.
X's 2 unfortunately, something wasn't done right. When you take the trans down this time, leave the transfer case off until you verify clutch pedal function & bleed, etc. This way there's less to remove if you must remove it a 3rd time. Just don't turn the truck on.

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think the clutch needs bled again but this time correctly. I guess I have to remove slave and tilt then bleed.

For the shifter, I am thinking the shifter alignment is off. I see the first slot is off. I think that's reverse? Anyway, I am unsure if I bring the far left one up to meet the other two or if I should get the middle and right slot down to match the left. Just for info... the middle and right seem to be in middle of hole.

Your help is appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is another pic. Kinda blurry but you can see the alignment slots better

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Last pic didn't post so I am retrying. Sorry

You must be registered for see images attach

1985Bubbatruk

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Not sure about the clutch issue mine has a manual clutch in it, but as far as the shifter goes, Yes the slots have to be in the center for the shift lever to go down in the top correctly. You should be able to use a long screw driver or prybar and move the shift rails ito position, then drop you shifter in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne