Please help!!! Clutch/Tranny Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok. I got it all figured out. Thank goodness I didn't have to tear everything down. For future readers, here is my fix to both my problems.
1. It wouldn't shift because when I took shifter out I read somewhere to have halfway in reverse. That is only for taking top plate off, not shifter. (Put in neutral when only taking out shifter). Looking down transmission, reverse was out of alignment. It LOOKED like I needed to pry shifter alignment towards cab. I was wrong. The ball was up towards cab so I put in screwdriver and prayed towards bed and it spun right into alignment, easily. So it looked one way but actually was another. From left to right is ball and groove for when reverse rail to neutral, then other 2 rail grooves were just open and lined up. I put in shifter and all is good. So when looking down top at 3 rails, it's... ball-groove-groove-groove (groove is my term for open channel)

2. For clutch issue, I bled, rebled as stated I should (tilt 45 deg and have bleeder at highest point) still didn't work. It turns out, the slave cylinder was cracked right at bleeder valve. It was letting air in and couldn't be bled. Put on a new slave cylinder, bled and works great. The crack was right around where threads go in so it wasn't noticeable from sides. It was noticed when I unbolted slave to fully examine the top of it.

Thanks everyone for your input and if anyone else has similar issues, I hope this thread helps.

One last bit of advice.... my friend who helped me... unknown to me at the time, he took pics of everything as he went in case there was a problem he could refer to. So he had pics of new flywheel, clutch and everything each step of the way. That really helped in not having to do another tear down "just to look". 10 minutes then saved hours later.

Last edited:

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
That's awesome! I'm glad you got it all worked out! Yes, pics are a life saver! I also thank you for updating! Not many newbies do that ;)

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good deal! Glad you got everything goin your way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL