Passing CA Smog help - High HCs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
CO isn't extremely high suspect problem lies somewhere besides carb

Some items to look at:

internal engine wear and or misfire
vacuum leak, remember they can leak under intake
stuck EGR if equipped
over advanced
camshaft with too much overlap
overheating

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You must be registered for see images attach

At least some of that is not accurate. Federal emissions in a 1980 8600GVW K25 with a 350 did not have an AIR pump and injectors going into the manifold. It's even more interesting that the maker of that manual is her in Troutdale, OR and my truck was originally delivered to the Beaverton GMC/Buick dealer here in 1980.

Ncali

Reaction score
First Name
anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
305tbi
Elevated hydrocarbon (HC) emissions usually indicate ignition misfire due to fouled spark plugs or a bad plug. But high HC emissions can also be caused by burned exhaust valves (check compression), lean misfire (check for vacuum leaks, low fuel pressure or dirty injectors), or rich fuel conditions (fuel saturated carburetor floats, excessive fuel pressure, leaky injectors or a dead O2 sensor).

High carbon monoxide (CO) emissions are a telltale sign of a rich fuel mixture. On older carbureted vehicles, fuel-saturated plastic floats, incorrect float settings, leaky power valves and misadjusted chokes are often responsible for the rich mixture. On newer vehicles with feedback fuel controls and fuel injection, leaky injectors, excessive fuel pressure and sluggish or contaminated O2 sensors are all possibilities to investigate.

Harder to diagnose are elevated oxides of nitrogen (NOX) emissions. Causes here may include a defective EGR valve, EGR vacuum solenoid or motor, plugged EGR ports in the manifold, over-advanced ignition timing or engine overheating.

Ncali

Reaction score
First Name
anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
305tbi
everything you put on the truck has to be carb compliant so that carb you put on may not pass

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
everything you put on the truck has to be carb compliant so that carb you put on may not pass
I was thinking the same thing

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
Why would it need to be carb compliant. Would they even know to look under truck if the doc says not applicable? It doesnt make sense to need a compliant one if it isn’t needed for that model year- it’s just extra

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Why would it need to be carb compliant. Would they even know to look under truck if the doc says not applicable? It doesnt make sense to need a compliant one if it isn’t needed for that model year- it’s just extra
He said carbureator may not pass,and I had the same feeling. Used to be it had to be legal replacement not just any carbureator you picked up. I used to fail the obvious ones on visual. And people don't understand,when the inspectors fail things he's not being a dick,he's keeping his job and his income. He doesn't know you or your vehicle from Adam.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
He said carbureator may not pass,and I had the same feeling. Used to be it had to be legal replacement not just any carbureator you picked up. I used to fail the obvious ones on visual. And people don't understand,when the inspectors fail things he's not being a dick,he's keeping his job and his income. He doesn't know you or your vehicle from Adam.
Oh lol- the carb is CA approved. It came with a doc I’m supposed to give the tester.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Oh lol- the carb is CA approved. It came with a doc I’m supposed to give the tester.
A lot of California Air Resource Board AKA “CARB” approved parts come with a decal that either goes on their part or on the core support. The sticker has an Executive Order “EO” number on it for the tech to look up so they can confirm the part is legal.

evlblkrfl

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm about to go through the same thing. I have a 77' K20. I was looking at that Edelbrock carb too but I'm really thinking about going with the MSD fuel injection instead.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
I'm about to go through the same thing. I have a 77' K20. I was looking at that Edelbrock carb too but I'm really thinking about going with the MSD fuel injection instead.
I was going to go fuel injection but was told I would fail inspection if I didn’t have a carb. Just by a car guy not someone with testing experience

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
The info I have is that it’s legal in ca on GM v8s prior to 1980. I hope that info is legit. Praying to the truck gods. Hopefully I receive all the parts so I can smog next week. Ready to get the project rolling-legally. Wifey doesn’t want a lawn/driveway ornament.

evlblkrfl

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The MSD 2900 Atomic EFI is the only fuel injection kit that has an EO # for use in California

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
I had my original electric carburetor rebuilt, i was told that was the only option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005