Order in the court.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Getting ready to strip my K20 down to the frame. Hoping to get the frame painted, my axles rebuilt and in, along with the motor/trans and suspension. Figure the weather here is so lousy 8 months a year, the sheet metal will have to wait til Spring.

QUESTION......is there any particular order in assembling things? What I'm getting at is - would you set the cab back on the frame before running brake or fuel lines, maybe headers.....to avoid any interference problems? I've got new tanks and figured the bed being off would be easiest to install them and new lines.

Stupid question but I'd rather ask it now than later when/if I have some of the aforementioned issues.

Thanks.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
When I did my k5, I did it based off of height of the truck...
(bare in mind this is a lifted truck)
I stripped the body completely down, separated the frame.
Starting with a bare frame, I used the axles as saw horses and set the frame down on them.

Dropped the motor in, bolted it down.

Put the suspension under the truck, then attached axles.

From that point, I was able to do all the wire wheel work, sanding, painting etc to the frame.
I attached an exploded 4L60e to the big block just so the motor would situp right, and it mock it up as if everything was level, using the crossmember and blocks of wood under it to level the whole setup.
Bolted on headers at that point to see if there would be interference in the frame.

Also attached the 79 front clip, rad support and all to see how it would all turn out. Even mocked 79 fenders up to check tire clearance.

(the following part doesn't pertain to what you're doing) once the transmission tail shaft was pointing parallel with the frame, I then welded up my subframe/cradle for the drop box.

Moving on to your part...

Once all subframe work was done, frame was prepped, painted, brake lines like I wanted them, I rolled the frame outside to where I left the body, then picked the body up with a outdoor gantry I made, and rolled the rolling chassis under it with smaller tires.....

Then rolled the whole rig right back under the carport....

It's been sitting there since as Ive been working on it, adding stuff, etc.

Putting the motor in first is definitely a good starting point.

Axles are alot easier to slide under and bump back and forth on their Centerpins without any weight.

I did all of this worth with no concrete, all in the dirt. Just have to get creative.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Only thing I didn't do was wrestle the th400 in while the body was off.....

That was my one mistake.

But I didn't have it ready to take a beating from a big block just yet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohhhhh !!! Dis gonna be a good one to watch !!! :waytogo:

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Take your time, It's a lot of cleanup. Take lots of pictures during the tear down so you have something to refer to when it goes back together. Ask away when your looking for something! And Thanks for for the kudo's @Craig 85

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Take your time, It's a lot of cleanup. Take lots of pictures during the tear down so you have something to refer to when it goes back together. Ask away when your looking for something! And Thanks for for the kudo's @Craig 85

I'm already in over my head.....only truck I have is the one that will be in pieces and I'm condemned to a place with no shop, plastic rusts and weather is crap 8 months a year.

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I'm already in over my head.....only truck I have is the one that will be in pieces and I'm condemned to a place with no shop, plastic rusts and weather is crap 8 months a year.

You must be registered for see images attach

You can do it, I have faith in you. Much easier than navigating through a Volvo...

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I did frame, axles, brake lines, fuel tank, fuel lines, engine, transmission, everything that is not connected with the cab. After engine break in I did all the metal work and paint off the bottom on the cab. After that cab back on frame. After that the remaining 125.789 things that were left to do.

https://79k5build.wordpress.com/

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Maybe @Keith Seymore can help us out here. but I'd try to put it back together in the same order that the factory did it. They would have a handle on the most efficient way to assemble a truck.

My thinking is frame, axles, fuel/brake lines and other attachments like chassis electrical, tanks, engine and drivetrain, exhaust system, rad support, radiator, bumpers. Then as ali_c20 said when you've got everything you can put on without the cab, put the cab on. Then more electrical, fenders and the rest of the front clip. Bed would be last. If I had the opportunity I would also try to paint the body while it's off the frame. You have better access, and don't have to worry about overspray.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks fellas - some pretty awesome builds on this site. Hoping mine comes out just half as good.

My goal is to get the frame, axles, suspension, tanks and the motor / trans in place. A real win would be to get the bed and cab in color and back on.....can spray it again in place if need be. Glass, wiring, etc is the finale. I've got a really slick cover for it when the drop back and punt time comes for next Spring.

Just alot to do at the mercy of the weather in a state where the weather sucks most of the year. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising