Oldsmobile Engine Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
So,, looks like the olds to chevy truck is on hold.......till spring.....

jump on over to the 6.2L diesel thread so i dont get in trouble for going OT.....hahaha

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So,, looks like the olds to chevy truck is on hold.......till spring.....

jump on over to the 6.2L diesel thread so i dont get in trouble for going OT.....hahaha

Yepper, don't wanna do that. We do tend to get off-topic alot around here, but we do TRY our best to keep the tech, build and info threads tidy and on topic.
Also encourage members to give staff a heads up too if you see one your threads going OT. We can many times clean them up without having to delete conversion, by just moving it to it's proper threads. :)

Red376

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi all! First post, I'm new here but not new to forums, this thread made me want to join. Finally guys with real experience and grease under their finger nails talking about real projects! Crazy!! Lol

I know, I'm digging up an old thread but didn't want to start a new topic that's so close to this one. I just bought a new to me 88 C2500 with a worn TBI 350 and the stout SM465. I've got an Olds 350 at a friend's machine shop that's 60% finished. Might be kind of cool to drop that Olds into the Chevy, I'd probably go with an auto trans vs the manual, for simplicity sakes. What I'm wondering and can't find out any info on, is where/how to locate the frame side motor mounts? Hopefully someone has some insight... Otherwise I may just have to use the SWAG method

The reason I'm quoting this response I just wanted to add that ALL Olds 330's also had forged cranks, which are identical in bearing size and stroke to their 350. Kinda cool! I scoured eBay for a while and finally found the 330 crank, which my buddy is cleaning up.

For those that care, here is the best Olds motor sites I've ever found, http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofeng.htm Pretty much everything an Olds guy would ever want to know, minus transplanting an Olds motor into a pickup.

Nice to meet y'all!
Jim

One thing about 425's, the Cranks are ALL, every last one of them, are Forged steel. I still have one that is standard grind, but needs turned .010 on the rods cuz I gouged it disassembling a seized motor. I had one one of those very rare 425's that I bought out of pasture that sat in the weather for over 15 years, with a Variable Pitch Th400. Bought both for $25 married together. Took the block to the machine shop for cleaning, he said it was rusted to bad and junk. I did my Electrolysis magic on the block, made it like a new block again, and sold the bare block for $200. Rods were junk when I cut them with a sawsall to get the motor apart. Still have the crank, trans and 1 of the C heads though. Sold the OE 67 425 Carb for $100 too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hi all! First post, I'm new here but not new to forums, this thread made me want to join. Finally guys with real experience and grease under their finger nails talking about real projects! Crazy!! Lol

I know, I'm digging up an old thread but didn't want to start a new topic that's so close to this one. I just bought a new to me 88 C2500 with a worn TBI 350 and the stout SM465. I've got an Olds 350 at a friend's machine shop that's 60% finished. Might be kind of cool to drop that Olds into the Chevy, I'd probably go with an auto trans vs the manual, for simplicity sakes. What I'm wondering and can't find out any info on, is where/how to locate the frame side motor mounts? Hopefully someone has some insight... Otherwise I may just have to use the SWAG method

The reason I'm quoting this response I just wanted to add that ALL Olds 330's also had forged cranks, which are identical in bearing size and stroke to their 350. Kinda cool! I scoured eBay for a while and finally found the 330 crank, which my buddy is cleaning up.

For those that care, here is the best Olds motor sites I've ever found, http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofeng.htm Pretty much everything an Olds guy would ever want to know, minus transplanting an Olds motor into a pickup.

Nice to meet y'all!
Jim

Welcome to GMSB Jim. I'm fully aware of all of the above. Just to note incase you missed it, you can use the 330 Forged crank in the 350, but do keep in mind the 330 uses the Early flywheel and I'd check into the balancing nature of each motor. IIRC, they do balance different also which would mean you'd need to use a 330 balancer also. Not positive on the balancing now that I think more about it, but I am certain on the flywheel bolt pattern.

The last time I seen the Olds 350 motor pad mounts available, was on eBay and they guy wanted $100 for them. That was about 2 years ago that I looked and to the best of my knowledge they eventually sold that price. I know I watched them for 3 weeks hoping he'd go down and he never did so I didn't buy them. I've got a set around here somewhere, just not so sure I'm ready to cut loose of them just yet even though I've sold the 455 I was going to use due to having to move and all but gave up on the 455 in a Square dream.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hmmmmm Wunder where this guy went. I found my olds mounts and confirmed all 4 pieces, 2 on each side, are different than the Chevy motor mounting pads. And they're not available on LMC either. Could be why they sold for $100 on eBay.

These came off of an 82 with a 350 Chevy.
attachment.php

attachment.php

These came off an 80 that was originally an Olds 350 Diesel and later Converted to Olds 350 Gas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SquareEngMountsChevy1.jpg
    SquareEngMountsChevy1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 902
  • SquareEngMountsChevy.jpg
    SquareEngMountsChevy.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 999
  • OldsMountsSquarebodyTrucks 005.jpg
    OldsMountsSquarebodyTrucks 005.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 849
  • OldsMountsSquarebodyTrucks 007.jpg
    OldsMountsSquarebodyTrucks 007.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 827

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Now that I study these a bit more, there isn't that much difference. I wonder if the difference could be, 1 set is for 81 and later, and 1 set is for 80 and ealier? Anyone know if motor pads are different for the Round Eye to Square Eye interchange???

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size