Old77's '98 ECSB 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Must of been a slow truck.

All I've ever got to drive is slow ***** company trucks. I think 95 is about the fastest I've gotten in a big truck and that seemed like 60. Who governs a truck at 95? I can see the real ******* doing the 67 and 72 governors for the big companies if that's what there company limit was, but why 95??? :shrug:

You want to talk about a boring ride, back in the day of 55mph, Swift was doing 57mph governers. That sucked. No, I didn't work for them, my Bro and Step dad did, and rode out to So Cali a couple times. Guess I couldn't bitch about a free bus ride, and it was still much faster than taking a bus since there were no stops. Boring as hell though. Didn't even seem to be moving. Cracked me the hell up on one of those with my step dad. On a down grade in AZ, he got that 57mph truck over 90 with a heavy load :rofl: I was in the top bunk and about got thrown out of it rockin' 90 something around a long curve and it woke me up. Then the qualcom is lit up like a Christmas tree, big pilot lights on the dash coming on. Of course he's ignoring all of them. Then the cell phone start ringing. He ignored that too. After that grade was all over and we're back at 57, the phone rings again and he answers it. I could hear his dispatcher yelling like a mutha on the phone. :rofl: All my stepdad said was, well you had me tied up in Oak City for maintenance so I'm trying to make Fontana on time. Then he says, NO I didn't alter the governer. :33: ******* dispatcher thought he really worked on the truck, allbeit, he sees the blip on the screen and knows exactly where the truck is and SHOULD KNOW there was a grade. We all know it's a big no no, but step dad just put it in N and let it roll. We'd a been fuct if he needed to find a gear to slow it down cuz I much doubt it's very easy to get into top gear at that speed in a Swift truck no matter how high you revved it up and how hard you crammed it in there even on a 13. :laughing1: One thing about those Swift trucks though, slower than hell by governer, but it seems the only time they passed everyone was climbing a hill even loaded heavy. Plenty of useless power I guess. :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've only had a few vehicles new enough to have a cutoff point. My old Z34's would pull like a freight train right up to 112, I just figured GM would have the same cutoff for everything else. I never tested that '99 Silverado, doubt I ever put it past 75mph.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The ex wife's Grand Prix GT cut off at 115. That's why we started driving it on the Laughlin trips. If was governed faster than the Avy and also better on fuel cost. I'd do about 80-90 out of OK, did about 5 over in TX, don't **** around with those bastards crossing the panhandle in TX. Righteous Pricks !!! But once we hit NM border, it was rock on the rest of the way. 100-115 and slow down a bit thru the bigger cities like Gallup, Tucumcari, Albaquerque etc however the hell spelled, then the same in AZ. I remember one trip, we stayed back about 1/4 mile from this Cad CTS doing 110 all the way out of AZ. He pulled off and so did we. He stopped to get fuel, so we got fuel, drinks and pissed. Waited on him and let him get in front of us again. We got almost all the way across NM doing 110 most of the time and staying 1/4 mile back from that Cad, and sure as **** it happened. He got popped. I just slowed down and cruised right on past them at 5 over. :rofl: That was our record time trip.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
All I've ever got to drive is slow ***** company trucks. I think 95 is about the fastest I've gotten in a big truck and that seemed like 60. Who governs a truck at 95? I can see the real ******* doing the 67 and 72 governors for the big companies if that's what there company limit was, but why 95??? :shrug:

You want to talk about a boring ride, back in the day of 55mph, Swift was doing 57mph governers. That sucked. No, I didn't work for them, my Bro and Step dad did, and rode out to So Cali a couple times. Guess I couldn't bitch about a free bus ride, and it was still much faster than taking a bus since there were no stops. Boring as hell though. Didn't even seem to be moving. Cracked me the hell up on one of those with my step dad. On a down grade in AZ, he got that 57mph truck over 90 with a heavy load :rofl: I was in the top bunk and about got thrown out of it rockin' 90 something around a long curve and it woke me up. Then the qualcom is lit up like a Christmas tree, big pilot lights on the dash coming on. Of course he's ignoring all of them. Then the cell phone start ringing. He ignored that too. After that grade was all over and we're back at 57, the phone rings again and he answers it. I could hear his dispatcher yelling like a mutha on the phone. :rofl: All my stepdad said was, well you had me tied up in Oak City for maintenance so I'm trying to make Fontana on time. Then he says, NO I didn't alter the governer. :33: ******* dispatcher thought he really worked on the truck, allbeit, he sees the blip on the screen and knows exactly where the truck is and SHOULD KNOW there was a grade. We all know it's a big no no, but step dad just put it in N and let it roll. We'd a been fuct if he needed to find a gear to slow it down cuz I much doubt it's very easy to get into top gear at that speed in a Swift truck no matter how high you revved it up and how hard you crammed it in there even on a 13. :laughing1: One thing about those Swift trucks though, slower than hell by governer, but it seems the only time they passed everyone was climbing a hill even loaded heavy. Plenty of useless power I guess. :shrug:

Funny **** right there.

I havent had a govered truck since the early 90's...suck ass when I did though.

My '06, '03, 'and my 99 all had the "road speed governer" settings in the ecm set at max which is 127mph....fast enough imho. My '85 was mechanical with no restrictions but it was gear bound with 3.70 rears.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
My grandad worked for UPS about 35 years ago pulling doubles, they were governed at 58, he said the trick to going up hills was to hit the governor coming down the previous hill with the turbo spooled and the truck had lots of power on reserve to pull the hills without slowing too much.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
My grandad worked for UPS about 35 years ago pulling doubles, they were governed at 58, he said the trick to going up hills was to hit the governor coming down the previous hill with the turbo spooled and the truck had lots of power on reserve to pull the hills without slowing too much.
That's really all you can do with a 58mph truck, just hold the pedal to the floor the whole time.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Sounds like the company dump truck. Except it's so gutless that you usually are forced to downshift to pull the slightest grade, so you lose most of the momentum you might have had.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Personally I hate removing the top-speed governor. Ever have your slip yoke come out doing 100+ mph? Most cars it may not be an issue, but if your truck has any sort of height alteration, make damn sure everything is kosher before doing any high speed runs.

I am an acceleration guy. Get me up to speed fast, not hold a fast speed. I had my Vette up to 125 mph once. Haulin' ass through the first 90 was way more enjoyable than the last 35.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I would tend to agree. When I was younger (and dumber if you can believe that) I was a top speed guy but as I've gotten older I've found myself going 100+ a LOT less often. I'm normally around 70-80 on the highway and that's it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Got the cluster installed for testing purposes before rolling the odometer to make it accurate. The only thing I noticed is the speedometer needle still reads as if it's got my old 100 mph speedo in there rather than this 120 mph speedo so if I'm going 70 mph the speedo is reading 80 mph. Does anyone know the best way to recalibrate these??

You must be registered for see images attach

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Must of been a slow truck.

Oh I didn't say that was as fast as it would go, I was comfy at 115, I have no idea how fast that KW would go.

Kinda funny, I was coming back from El Paso, a RPS truck and me were screwing around at 115, and we both got passed by a old International Trans-star Bull Rack like we were sitting still. It was about 10 am, we were in Sweetwater, he said he had to be in Amarillo by 6 pm. At that speed he was going to make it. He had to be doing 140 easy.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Got the cluster installed for testing purposes before rolling the odometer to make it accurate. The only thing I noticed is the speedometer needle still reads as if it's got my old 100 mph speedo in there rather than this 120 mph speedo so if I'm going 70 mph the speedo is reading 80 mph. Does anyone know the best way to recalibrate these??

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks good.....ain't got no clue how to fix all that new fangled modern electronic stuff. I'll just stick with my cable driven speedo. LOL

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Oh I didn't say that was as fast as it would go, I was comfy at 115, I have no idea how fast that KW would go.

Kinda funny, I was coming back from El Paso, a RPS truck and me were screwing around at 115, and we both got passed by a old International Trans-star Bull Rack like we were sitting still. It was about 10 am, we were in Sweetwater, he said he had to be in Amarillo by 6 pm. At that speed he was going to make it. He had to be doing 140 easy.
I bet he had a 6x4 in that 13 letter **** spreader.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Looking good buddy

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Could just be something like the DRAC, if it has one, if not some GMT400 forum would have a write up on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB